Purple smoke bush not smoking

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chimmygew, Aug 30, 2005.

1. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Any advice is appreciated. Ok, I have a customer that I mow for that has a purple smokebush. The problem she says is that it will not bloom. It is about 8 years old and has never produced the "smokey blooms". She asked me what she needs to do and I don't know what to tell her. I figured you guys could probably help me give her some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

the blooms appear on new growth

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

To continue w/ treedoc's statement....most shrubs produce flowers/blooms off of new growth. I think that maybe your shrub is being pruned at the wrong time of year. Best is right after it blooms...or in your case summer.

Chris

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Cotinus (Smoke Tree)like stress conditions and poor rocky soil.Do not give regular watering conditions and if they are planted in such conditions make sure they have sandy quick draining soil.Or cut off the regular water or wean off.
    This will probably fix the problem.Or replace the bush with a new one you can plant into those conditions.You can also try practicly Pollarding the bush for new growth to bloom next year.

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Since it is 9 years old and has never bloomed, you think she should just give up and plant a new one? And poor sandy rocky soil. I'll let her know. Thanks for the replies.