Purple Violets

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Talon1189, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to kill Purple Violets in an establised lawn? 2,4 D hardly works at all :cry: They are resistant to chemicals and I do not want to go to a systemic non selective chemical :confused:

2. broske

broske LawnSite Member

quicksilver mixed with 3way works or get speedzone almost the samething.

3. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

They are tough to get a handle on. It can take several applications and years to get rid of them. Usually have to use Ester to get results here.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You need something with triclopyr.

It will be more effective than the typical Threeway product. Even though I've read that Speedzone is effective, it has not worked well for me on the violets.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Speedzone has been effective for us on violets.

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, Semper Fi, how many applications of Speedzone does it take? What time of year?

7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i was told momentum worked well. i was going to try it out this fall. anybody have experience with it?

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

speed zone sucks on violets unless u drowned them and then u get lawn burn sometimes
    i love speedzone but it is not to good on a few weeds unless i run up the rate
    as for what to use i liked confront but that is no longer an option

9. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I originally posted this thread........I am a home owner and am not licensed to get the chemicals that are mentioned in this thread :cry: What other choices are there that are available to me locally? Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

10. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

You'd be suprised what you can buy. Just go to Lesco and they can hook you up with whatever you need.