1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Purpose a 21" serves..???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jan 14, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Last summer I had about 12-13 residential lawns. Only one of them had a gate to the back yard. It is about 30ftx40ft. I used my trimmer on it everytime. I tried using a 21" but it actually took me twice as long when I used the 21" rather then the trimmer.
    What purpose would the push mower serve???? I used my trimmer on a back yard and any hard to reach places just fine. Even with commercial accounts that have small islands. Seems a steady trimmer hand can get the job done just fine.
    Do yall use your 21" alot?
  2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 21" inch because it gives an even cut ... my hand must not be as steady as yours with the trimmer !!
  3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

21" mowers with a bag is gold standard around here. Lots of gates(90% of every yard) and if you just knosked it down with a weed wacker these people would never have you back again. Things are probably differant where you are, but it pretty ghetto to do it that way. Mow where ever you trim the rest is a good rule of thumb, but maybe your customers are OK with the look left behind.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try starting the engine next time. Faster to use a trimmer than a 21" on a 1200 SF lawn? Please.......:laugh:
  5. stevenf

The lawns always looked perfect. Looked like they were mowed but without the wheel lines left in the yard. Trust me, If it didnt look good, I wouldnt have done it. I did everything I could to make sure I kept the 12 lawns I had. I wouldnt take the chance.
    Yes, It was ALOT faster then the push mower. I let out about 15-18" of trimmer line, walk backwards while swinging the trimmer side to side. Took care of 20sq/ft every three or so steps.....
  6. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at the tips on the grass that you cut down with the weed eater? Sometimes St Augustine don't like to be wacked off.
  8. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

not only that but if you are mowing in a commercial areas with islands, You have to worrie about the extensive time you are using the open head trimmer. I did the same thing when I worked alone... I got lazy, but take the extra time to make it look that much better and it will help your name in the long run. You will appriciate it later.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that mows with the trimmer! I have a couple small back yards that I "trim" most of the time. They really do look perfectly fine afterwords too! Other than the 2 sets of "tracks" going up one side and down the other.. Yeah my feet shuffling along creates what look like tire tracks over time.

Both of these take about 3 times longer with the 21", because I'm already right there, every week with the trimmer, to do around the inside of the fence. The 21" mower is about 100 yards away on the trailer. One of the back yards is low and their sump pump dumps out into it... The trimmer was the only answer to even cut it for a couple months this last summer. I ende up just sticking with it till fall when I did actually use the 21" with the bag to clean up the leaves.
  10. stevenf

Well, I originally started using the trimmer everytime because my 21" stop working. Once I realized how much faster it was, I parked the 21" for the rest of the season.