Purpose of Straw when Seeding?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tony Clifton, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that many landscapers throw straw down on top of seed. I assume the straw is to help hold moisture. Is this correct and is it neccessary in the winter? We are doing several trac homes where we sod the fronts and seed the back yards. I told the builder that it is not neccesary to straw this time of year, am I correct? Thanks/.

2. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

Straw is mainly used for holding moisture and helps with erosion. We very rarely use straw, most of ours is either sod or slice seeding.

The trac homes - are they for a builder?

If they are - then around here, builders must have the lawn graded, leveled, seeded, strawed or must be green (Sod)

3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Mowmoney, thanks, thats what I thought, I just want to be sure its not something we should be doing. yea, the trac homes are for a builder, we grade them, sod the fronts, do plantings, mulch or pinestraw, and then seed the backs and sides if the sod doesnt cover that.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Straw to hold moisture. A lot of working couples who dont have time to water and if we are lucky maybe once a day.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Thats the honest truth.

Its also keeps birds from eating all the seed also. Using straw is big in this area. Sodding hardly exists except on commercial properties and the wealthy, the rest of the people want seed and straw.

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Maybee hydroseeding is the best cost value? Sod results 1/3 the cost. 1/2 the time my straw blows all over leaving bare spots that dont grow well. You WILL be judged by your finished product.:D

7. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

You can also use 1-3-1 fertilize impregnated 'mulch' pellets by PennMulch. When it rains or is irrigated, the pellets absorb the water like a sponge. This is more expensive than the straw, but you won't have the problem with other weed seeds coming up with the mulch. Plus the straw doesn't give you any fertilize either. I personally think that using the mulch is a good investment. Just my .02

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Where does everyone get the idea that you get weeds from straw? If it does happen, would you provide pictures of all the weeds in the lawn.

9. Only use straw for erosion purpose.Straw has no other benefit.There are a whole bunch of other types of materials to use rather than straw.

10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any pictures of weeds coming directly from straw. Who knows how many weeds you will get from straw? Maybe alot, maybe only a few, but we all know that you will get 0 from pelleted mulch.