Purposely un-mowed lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

If the price of gas keeps rising at this rate, I could see this trend taking off. Purposely un mowed lawns. I wonder how many towns and cities would allow this?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about making a thread like this too. I know its dry around here but my area is loaded with lawns that haven't been mowed in quite awhile. The weeds really stick out. I can't remember noticing so many unmowed lawns even during a drought. The city and county will fine people sooner or later if they ignore warnings

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

thats a load of crap the towns and fine people for not mowing their lawns....so much for freedom of choice. i guess when our choice infringes upon others property values the gov has the right to do as they please, i also cant stand it when people complain if they live next to a commerically zoned area and then complain about it. well thats why your house was as cheap as it was, now deal with it

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats the bad news. The good news is we make money cutting over grown lots and the people are glad to pay it because the government is on their backs. We get is down so they can let it grow out of control again, so we can get it down...............:laugh:

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

this is true, not that i agree with ugly lawns, and mine is very manicured, but i dont think towns should be telling us how to care for our lawns

6. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of anyone around here getting fined for not mowing. In the city I have but not out here in the burbs.

7. GeoMiklas

GeoMiklas LawnSite Member

Grove City PA has an ordinance that if your lawn is higher than 6", the boro will shut off your electricity first, then answer your questions when you call the boro offices.

That is government in big britches!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's both an aesthetic and health issue. Tall, overgown lawns are known to harbor a lot of stuff that most people don't want any parts of. Rats and snakes to name two. People that live out in the country have better sense than to let their grass get too tall. The field rats and snakes move in quick.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Fuel prices are not an excuse for a homeowner to not mow there own lawn. Come on we all know it takes no more than 1/4 gallon to mow the average lawn with a push mower.

10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I worked for a company that mowed overgrown lawns for the city. We did quite a few every week. Most were forclosed homes, but others were just lazy people. The city just slapped it on their taxes.