push aerators

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i noticed they sell aerators that you can drag behind a tractor so i figured there wouldnt be much difference than if there was a push aerator. i kno the walk behinds are the best but i cant afford that right now

anyone know of any push aeraotrs? :weightlifter:

2. Clear-Cut

well i just found these (the first one looks better simply because you can put the extra weight on it)

http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Push-Spike-Aerator-p-16231.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EYH1NG/dealtime-kitchen-20/ref=nosim

anyone have experience with these? it looks like it does the same thing as drag behind aerators..only thing that sux is that the 1st one ins only 16" in width..but if it does the job i think it will be worth the extra time and excercise for now...im only going to be around 10 jobs probably

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, you best brace yourslef for a maylay of lawn wisdom here...

My 2 cents, neither of those 2 units there will do ANYTHING they say they will. The only way to really "areate" is to pull plugs. Spike aerators do nothing more than cause more compaction, the ones pictured won't because they likely wouldn't even penetrate the soil. Do a search on the net for Plugr, ryan, turfco, and there's more...

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use a spike aerator...it will not help, you need to core aerate to be effective, especially if you are selling aeration service, people will expect good results. If you can't afford a walk behind get a pull behind core aerator or a hooker from JRCO see it here: http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=1 this is one that mounts in front of your mower...so it is getting pushed, just not by hand.

5. Clear-Cut

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Don't see a pic, but if you can PUSH an areator that pulls plugs out of the ground I really don't want to run into you in a dark alley if you know what I mean. If it dosn't have a MOTOR and dosn't propell itself it's never going to do the job efficiently.

7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly...there is no way you will be able to push it without a motor...heck even with a motor they suck. Here is an option for you...book your aerations on the same day, and RENT an aerator...I can get one for $12 and hour or $40 a day...plus you don't have to worry about maintenance...that is the way to go, don't mickey mouse around with that crap you are looking at

8. Clear-Cut

didnt even think of that...now where can i rent them...i think i remember reading on here taht someone rented a ryan from home depot..anyone know if this is true?

9. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly i could not imagine pushing on with the weight it takes to work

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member