Push blade on a ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I see more ads for snow push blades made for ZTRs. 1. Really how good is a ZTR going to push snow. 2. How easy is it to controll direction? 3. I don't really think most of the drive systems on them are made for pushing snow. I myself would park the ZTR and get a snowblower or blade for a tractor or ATV etc.

2. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

They probably work as well as plowing snow with a 2wd truck

3. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

You would be suprised. Did a parking lot this last weekend w/5'' of snow and didn't have any problems pushing the snow around. I built a 6' blade for a mid size zero turn and so far the only time I have had trouble is when there is ice on the ground. No replacement for a Skidsteer but can't be any worse than a ATV

Timo

4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I'd opt for a 4wd ATV myself...that's what I use. I've used 2wd garden tractors many times, and an ATV will beat them hands down on power & speed.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Snow blower would be the best bet. I decent single state can handle a lot of snow. I think your hydro's would take a beating on heavy snows. Or a 4 wheeler would be a viable option.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've messed around with my ztr's on the snow. The amount of traction I had was surprising.

7. Monk44141

Monk44141 LawnSite Member

What brand snow blade are you using? If its the hustler brand do you have any trouble removing the deck? Any other issues i should know? Im in the market for a blade for my super z tks

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Several companies make them for ZTRs. The mower makers don't have a problem with them being used on certain models in their lines. I shove dirt with the one on my Rapid XZ. Gravely allows a 60" blade, 60" broom, and a 55" blower on the 252, 260, 266, 272 XDZ line.

9. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Has anyone put one of these on a hydro walkbehind? I would really love to see some of the rigs people have used or created. Im especially interested in anything that could be done without welding, nuts and bolts only here! I dont get a lot of snow, but its wet and heavy, and really takes a toll on my back. I was thinking maybe just reinforce some big steel shovels on a tube frame, then hook that frame to the caster forks?

also for those worried about the hydros, A) overheating isnt much of an issue in the snow... and B) If these hydros can move a one ton machine UP a hill, I dont think they will have any issue pushing some snow, especially with full power to the pumps and none to the deck.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie chopper has one available for their mowers. It would have no doubt that it can push the snow, I just wonder how the traction is for it.