Push me off the fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Sep 19, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

This year I have invested aroun 5000$ in slightly used equiptment, all of the stuff Im sure I could resell for more than I paid for it, so its like money in the bank

Ive been looking for a used "main" mower but have had no sucess, a good machine is near the new price and it seems 2500$ buys only junk.

So here the deal Better Quick has as special on the new Duelly 400$ worth of accessorys free. So With all the add ons striper step saver bagger etc, the total would be 4620$. Thats a lot of money because Im still part time. I also dont know if these things have any resale value, so Im sure this would not be like money in the band.

So what do you fellers think?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Someone comment

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You could get a brand new walk behind, something better then a Quick, for that much. Dont waste your money. And the resale would be much better.

4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

If your income and business plan justifies the investment, then buy it. My personal opinion is I'm not making a large purchase this late in the season. Just my $.02!

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Larry, you know where I stand. Time will tell, but I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO regrets about my Dually so far. The equivalent mower by other companies, especially with all the accessories, would run you another couple grand. And the guys at BOP have done absolutely everything they could do for me, as well.

6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, a new mower will depreciate. No, you will not be able to sell it for more money.

A slightly used hydro walkbehind, if bought right, will hold its value better.

7. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I purchased a Hustler Trimstar Hydro 36 for $3999.00 before taxes last year. Easy to operate, built solid, great cut. Name brand machine with good resale value. Just my 2 cents

Dave...

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That Dually sounds like it's approaching the cost range of the big brand, heavier duty hydro walk behinds.

This is a new design w/o a long term track record.

Resale value is not well established.

I think the Quick 36 idea, a low cost, nice cutting, small, light, $2500 mower for small lots makes sense for some users. Adding bigger decks, dual hydros, expensive sulkies, etc and it starts to look less attractive. While it improves on the original, it becomes close enough in price that you're probably not saving a ton.

I see Exmark TTHP's on ebay a lot. They have a good rep.

9. RocketLab

RocketLab LawnSite Member

What experience do you have with the Quick's performance and its resale in comparison with other brands?

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Not when you add up the cost of all the stinking accessories. Not to mention how much MORE affordable BOP replacement parts are.