Push Mower, angle cutting and lubrication

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hdtvluvr, Aug 6, 2006.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a self-propelled 22" mower with a 6.0 HP B&S Intek engine. Last year I had to have it worked on. The mechanic said a valve was burned and frozen. I believe it was over $100 for repair.

This mower was used for the first 6 years to cut about 0.15 acres. For the last 3 years it is only used to cut the levy on my pond (new house/yard). However, the levy is 30 - 40 degrees. I mow with the discharge away from the water which means the dipstick is on the low side of the mower. Yesterday, I noticed the engine sounded different when I was at an angle (more tinny). I'm wondering if this is a lubrication issue due to the angle.

Do I need to switch to a synthetic for better lubrication at an angle? Do I need to do anything different?

I have to have a self-propelled unit and don't really want to buy another mower for quite some time - thus I want to make sure this one keeps working. I've tried a string trimmer but the area is too large for me to do that way.

If I need to change oils, is a full synthetic better for this? The mower is used about 1 hour every 2 weeks or so.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

You already have a clue as to what is wrong. Mechanic should have asked about your mowing habit as he would then have been able to warn you of the lack of lubrication issue for your mower when you work at the angles you stated. Switching to syn oil will not mitigate the problem very much. I would recommend a 2 cycle for all atitude mowing if available.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Either 2 cycle or get a mower that has full pressure lube.

4. hdtvluvr

When this one quits again, I'll look into a 2 cycle or one with a full pressure lube. I haven't seen any 2 cycle mowers in a long time and have never seen a full pressure one.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

6. hdtvluvr

Thanks, I'll look into those.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont think they sell 2 cycle lawnboys anymore.