Push mower for St. Aug

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, May 8, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking to get a descent little puch mower for some certain parts of my lawns. I just think it looks cleaner with a push, Im just doing the fronts of my homes w/ it, and my Z with the rest. So what should i go with? I need something that can handle St. Aug very well.
  2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Get a self propelled with the biggest engine possible 6 hp or bigger.Also i would go look into buying a commerical model from you local dealer instead of wal-mart or the home cheepo. Just my two pennies
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

couldn't have said it better!:usflag:
  4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Snapper cuts great on st.augustine. That is the main thing I mow. Like what he said above hp and self propelled. Preferably rear whell drive. Toro, Honda, and Exmark are great to. I just have had good luck with snapper. They cut great on rye to.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are not going to get any input on this site......they don't understand what a push mower is.
  6. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honda HRC216 :weightlifter:
  7. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Hess lawns st.augustine sucks so bad when you use a PUSH LAWNMOWER it is so thick and you need horsepower to get threw it what are you going to do get a 200 shot nitrous oxide injected bowlens 3.5hp.
  8. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Toro Commercial Heavy Duty Recycler with the Kawasaki Engine, does a really good job, however, it needs to be cut weekly durning the summer.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Okay we ran lawnboys for about 10 years some actually were push and some had the steel roller on the wheel to propel it along. We bagged some and we mulched some...eventually we went to a PUSH snapper and then we went to Troy Bilt and then on up the chain.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a mower that will cut at least 4" high.