Push Mower Lifespan and Reliability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Due to a fire we lost all of our lawn maintenance equipment this fall. With an opportunity to start out fresh i was hoping to get other pro's opinions about what brands to consider for the small 21" push mowers. I use Ariens - 3 self propelled, 3 non-self propelled and we can only get 1 or 2 seasons out of them before they constantly break down.

So, what are your opinions on the following:

1. What brand of 21" push mower do you use?
    2. How many seasons does it last?
    3. How many months of mowing is your season?
    4. Do you use self propelled?

Note: no info needed on anything but 21's.

Thanks in advance.

2. theminigardener7

theminigardener7 LawnSite Member

Not only do we use the Commercial Honda Lawnmowers (21"), EVERY gardener in the county uses them. They are self propelled, and have steel decks. The new models now how double blades, so mulching is an option. However in our county we all bag so I haven't tried out the mulching capabilities. If the machine is consistently and properly serviced it will last you at the least 3 1/2 years. But my friend's have had the hondas last them over ten!

PS. Our mowing season lasts all year (12 months)

3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark or Snapper Hi Vacs depending on if you mulch or bag. I have a 20 year old Snapper Hi Vac with a 2 stroke Wisconsin Robin on it. Can't find those any longer due to the EPA but the only thing ever done to the engine other than maint was to decarbon the muffler and exhaust port.

4. Blazerfb

Blazerfb LawnSite Member

i'm a huge fan of the HRC, like it better than the exmark metro and toros and others. Just a lot of power, great mulching and bag. keep the blades sharp though! because there are two, when they dull they really bog down the motor and slow you down, i go with ten hour intervals, which isn't really by the book but easier. It is heavy but easy to get used to with the great self propel.

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I own an X-Mark Metro 36, great machine but there are some places I can't get it into so I use a "Toro Recycler"; starts on the first pull; gear driven; turns cuttings into dust or you can bag it - doesn't do too well if lawn is overgrown.

6. cutterschoice24

cutterschoice24 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

i own a metro 26 here in fl and use it on hotels and small back yards with the mulch kit and it does great for me i also have the hr x Honda not the commercial one but the one before it and it runs great no experience on the commercial Honda though.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Deere 21" 2-speed self-propelled. It is over 20 years old (its the old silver deck ones). The only down fall is that it is a little slower and they don't make it anymore. If I had to relpace it, I would look into the exmark metro 21 or wait for the new deere 21 to come out.

8. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Any insight on this? Couldn't find anything on Deeres sight.

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

What model Ariens do you have, are they the lower non commercial models?

10. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard someone else on here mention that Deere was coming out with a new commercial 21" (that person heard it from one of their clients who works in Deere's corporate offices) but they gave no details. Deere is always slow on getting new stuff out on their site.

In response to the poster's question, I have an old Western Auto Wizard 22" push mower (was self propelled) that is around 34 years old and still has the original spark plug and blade on it. It smokes a bit but it still gets the job done. With these older push mowers, when the drive goes out many people just throw them away. All you need to do is remove some of the drive components and you still have a perfictaly good push mower.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009