push mower questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm 17, I am starting up my own business and was wondering about push mowers. I recently just bought a Snapper 48 in. walk behind and I really like it. I have an old John Deere push mower, like a 14SB or something, with a 4.5 horse engine. I was wondering if there are any good cheaper push mowers with self propel and blade clutch for less than $600, with a bigger engine like 6 or 6.5. 4.5 hp isn't always enough. Any help would be great even about other stuff about starting a business. Thanks.:usflag:

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure that you can get one with a BBC for less then $600. And one I would run like heck from is a Deere JX75, they seem to have transmission problems. I think the Exmark Metro has a BBC option, but i believe that is a thousand dollar pushmower.

Some other tips about starting in business:
    1. Buy commercial equipment
    2. DO NOT buy a Crapsman leaf vac, they DO NOT seem to work unless the conditions are PERFECT
    3. SAVE money, dont waste it on junk you THINK you need
    (These are all mistakes I have made that have set me back a little bit)

3. Lawnut101

No one else has any advice? Well, what do you guys think of LB commercial? There is a used one at a hardware store by me, for $175. Is this a good price?

Thanks KS Grasscutter I really appreciate it.

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

HELLO, There is a 21'' self propeled at t.c.s. for under $400. they last about 3-4 yrs. If you treat it good, it will treat you good. A self propeled with electric clutch, for a small mower have only seen a couple and they cost a lot. I don't know what you are saying? LB commercial

5. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

If it has the 2 cycle engine and looks like it hasn't been beat up, I would buy it. The 2 cycle will last a long time. I have been using a used Toro Super Recycler all year and it has been awesome. I mow 3 lawns every week with the 21' and the rest I cut with a 48' wb and the 21' is for trim I would not hesistate to recommend this mower for light commercial use ( less than ten lawns per week) and it cost around $500 new.

TF

6. Lawnut101

By LB, I mean Lawn Boy. Thanks guys I'm probably gonna go look at that Lawn boy and a Toro to see what I think. We don't have any TSC around us, does that stand for Tractor Supply Company?

Thanks again

7. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

If you get a Toro make sure it is not the recycler. These will barely hold up being used on 1 lawn a week. The Super Recycler has a beefier transmission and wheels, plus it has an aluminum deck.
    Good Luck, TF

I also have friends with Snapper 21' mowers and they love them.

8. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

When I got started I was at Home Depot and Lowes every week during the spring and early summer. I picked up two Honda Self Propelled and a Toro recycler as refurbished units. Paid a little more than half price. Treat them right (they are not commercial grade) and they will last.