Push mower self propelled or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Deputy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Deputy

Deputy LawnSite Member

Who uses self propelled mowers Why and what kind? Do you use the one that turns one or both wheels, rear or front? Anybody have or use the push mower with the caster wheels in the front?:walking:

2. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few caster wheel mowers. They are John Deere and i love them. They can be steered around tree's and other things alot easier. If you dont need to steer it then it has a lock that locks them straight and it is a normal push mower again, Just costs alot more..LOL.. They are not commerical but they are built to last. I have used a couple of caster models and found that John Deere is nicer imo because of the round style deck it seems to shoot the grass out faster and i can cut high grass and weeds with little effort. Of coarse they are no longer making the round style deck any more and the new ones have there problems but i am sure they will work it out. I dont think i would buy caster wheels the next time i go to my dealer because there are alot more things that can break or give me problems....

3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

If you go with a non-commecial mower: self-propelled are almost more trouble than they are worth. A non-self propelled residential quality mower can be pieced back together with cheap parts and give you years of service.

I picked up a like-new (1/2 year homeowner used) used self-propelled Troy-bilt last winter for cheaper than a new unpropelled mower ($150 with Honda GC engine) to replace a worn-out non-propelled mower; it is now waiting on a new drive cable to arrive in the mail. It broke after only 1/2 a season of mowing less than 1 acre (7 or so small back yards) a week.

4. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

If I was going to buy a mower I would buy a self-propelled one. I personally like push mowers that are driven by the rear wheels instead of the front. Had a Craftsman that was pulled by the front wheels and it didn't work too well on hills.

I bought a Honda 2 summers ago and has been awesome. Very good cut quality and very reliable also. I think I paid $459.00 for it, which is there basic entry level propelled mower. It has a 3-speed transmission and comes standard with mulch and bag. I have put a ton of hours on it and still runs like new. Starts on first pull every time. Only changed filter, spar plug, and oil. After two summers belt is still going strong. I will replace it this winter though.

Have mowed a few times with mowers with casters and I highly suggest it. Honda has made some commercial mowers with front caster wheels. Hard to find, but I would try to pick up one of those.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a high end resi Lawn Boy 21", self propelled, aluminum deck. Great mower. It hauls butt and cuts good. It would be better if it had swivel wheels in the front, though.

6. railman

railman LawnSite Member

self propelled. I have a snapper hi vac self propelled mower its a 2000 model that my father gave this season and it runs and cuts real good for a 8 year old mower.

7. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

Snappers make really good push mowers. Their hi-vac decks are really good and leave a great cut.

8. CoopersLandscaping

CoopersLandscaping LawnSite Member

Ok, GOod question. Both are good. I like to have one for both. Especially for Back yards where you can't fit the 48 '' mower through the fences. I prefere to have one of each. If it's not whipping out turf tracer for a small yard I just use the self propel mower. But if your just trimming around flowers and stuff a non-SP mower is better. I have a Yard Machines push self propel and electric start, and a TROY BUILT w/ self propel. My one with out SP died. Well hope this was helpful!!!!

J.Cooper
    Coopers Landscaping
    1996 Ford F150
    1995 JEEP CHEROKEE
    2007 Yard MAchines Push mower
    2004 Troy Built SP
    DR Field/Brush MOWER
    Soon to come new EXMARK TURF TRACER 48"
    Soon TO come NEW HUSQVARNA WH4817E Walk BEhind 48"
    TRIMMERS/BLOWERS ect

9. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Honda HRX 217 and I love it (its self propel/rear drive/bagger/mulcher) perfect for the back yards with little gates !!

10. Marco LLP

Marco LLP LawnSite Member

I have a non-propeld mower but to be honest my next one is going to be self propeld, I heard that the lawn-boy are pretty good plus if it ever brek down you can go on theire web site and find a thecnical plan for almost every parts of it