1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Push Mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mcmurrytw, Aug 5, 2001.

1. mcmurrytw

mcmurrytw LawnSite Member

I am looking for a decent 21" push mower. Sears has one on sales right now with a 5.5hp Honda engine on it for $330. Do you think this is a good mower?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

For me to cut my postage stamp yard its a great mower, but for commercial use, it won't stand up to it, many of us can tell you first hand.

Can you tell us a little more about how much use it will be getting, and if you plan on going into or staying in commercial business?

3. mcmurrytw

mcmurrytw LawnSite Member

I am only going to use this mower to trim the places my rider can get to. I have about a 3/4 acre yard and will use this push mower about 1 hour per month.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

So I'll assume your a homeowner not in business?
    DUH!

ANyway, then yes, thats all you'll ever need, should outlive you if you treat it right. I've easily put enough commercial hours on a craftsman 5.5 horse self propelled 22" to last you over 100 years at 1 hour a month, and it still ran pretty good, but it was beat up.

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda makes a good push mower for $299.00:cool:

6. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Have Two Sears push Mowers for doing around Trees Etc.. Both are 5 years old and still start with one or two pulls max. For a push mower they give a nice cut and you can find parts very easy.

7. Randy

Randy LawnSite Member

I think it will work just dandy for what your need them for.I have used sears stuff and still do and it works just fine,& as some one said parts are easy to to get .

8. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

Bought a push mower from Q Farm & Fleet when I bought my first house, in '89. Cost me $109.- and it still runs.

If you'll just trim with, which it sounds like, then why spend mega-bucks?