Push Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LazyWeekends, May 16, 2001.

1. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a pushmower (maybe self propelled?) to cut some pretty small yards and a couple of not so small ones where the owners do not want my Z Mower or Lawn Tractor running over their grass. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or advice on what brand to buy?
    Do I need to consider a walk behind instead? I happen to have a Toro dealer and also a Husqvana dealer nearby but am prepared to travel to get the best machine. Lets hear from you all.
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a 36 walkbehind for the lawns too small for your ZTR. You know which ones those are.

Get rid of the customers who request your using a smaller mower just because they don't like the ZTR.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i agree with keith. i would definately get a walkbehind. if you dont have any houses with gates jump up to a 48 inch walk behind. it weighs much less than a ztr and you can put it anywhere the 36 could go except if you have gates. i too think you should get rid of any customer that doesnt let you use the Z. you may lose the customer and not want to, but youll pick one up just as fast that will let you use the Z.
  4. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

What are your thoughts on the huge price spread between a 21" pushmower as opposed to 36" or 48" walk behind. Think its worth the difference?
  5. If gates are only the issue, do get a 36" or 48" walk behind mower. By no choice, I have to work with 21" mowers because of gate sizes, grass to sidewalk height issues. I wish I could work with bigger size mowers. With the bigger mowers, cutting time takes 50% less time.

If you choose to go the 21" mowers, I've been using "LawnBoys"(true commercial grades) for over 29 years. I also use Hondas'. Both are good, reliable machines. Sometimes we have to lift machines, so use LawnBoy since they're lighter.:laugh:

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

just got a 21" club cadet push mower this year for small places, love the thing, self-propelled, electric start, comes witha bag, mulch attement, and side discharge shoot, well worth the $500 i spent on it, its commercial grade too.

for you boys that say a w/b behind weighs much less your very true, but what matters when it comes to that is how many pounds of pressure you have in the tires and the width of them. my w/b weighs about 6oo pounds less than my lazer but my lazer has much bigger tires and the psi ratio is the same as the w/b. just a thought for you guys
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

OK. Cheap 21 pushers don't look terribly proffesional ;) Next after pushing a few weeks, you realize theres gotta be a better way. You look into a higher quality self propelled job at the local mower shop. "$900! Who are they kidding :mad: Damn I could get a 36" walkbehind for $2000 (financed, under $100/month for 2 years)!"

And to boot, it's easily 2 1/2 times faster :)
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i also considered a brand new 21", but after pricing decided to buy a used 32" instead, for alot cheaper. i now carry 48", 36" and 32" cutters. my pushmower(21") days are over. been there, done that, never again
  9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I also use a Cub Cadet 21" for my town and row house properties. With the Cub you can bag, mulch or discharge. It's kind of funny to me but the little Cub will even leave a nice but small stripe.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We always buy whatever is cheap under $180 trim mowers and then replace them every other season.

If you are looking for the versatility of doing small to mid size lawns as well, then a 36 inch deck might not be a bad idea.

Just make sure that whatever you decide to purchase is something you can justify the cost of.

Turfs Up!