1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

push mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mark B, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I need some opinions on my brain fart I had about a month ago. I have an irrigation service, landscape lighiting business now. I now of a guy who ONLY uses a push mower and a small walkbehind mower. Is there anyone that does this and would like to give any input on it. I would like to start doing that this coming spring. We have some high end areas here in my area. I'm only want 10-15 accounts.
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Until this fall my BIG mower was a 36" walkbehind. I have a 48" Hustler super WB now, and a 21" I only use the 21" about one day a week. The 48" goes almost anywhere on the lawns I do. From 3000 to 30000 sgft.
  3. Mark B

Well I'm thinking about my biggest mower being would be a 36" WB and a 21" push mower. I think in mya area there is market for this kind of service.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Make the 36 a Wright Stander...you have no idea how productive they are.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The possible reason that he uses the smaller mowers is because it cuts down on his expenses of buying the larger equipment and then maintaining it.
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What sizes of properties are you htinking of servicieng? Before I got the hustler, I used the 36 on everthing from the 3000 sqft up to a couople over 20000sqft with a sulky. I will encourage you to go hydo if you can afford it. I was wishing for a hydro everyday I used the belt drive.
  7. I took over a mowing business two years age, 6 accounts, @ 60,000 sg ft, man cut, trim, blow off walks, driveways, and docks, all mowed with a 21 in self propelled, bagged evey time, took him 5 to 6 hrs, net 400.00 per week, and he cut all of them each week

I use troybilt 33", mulch only, now have 9 accts mowed weekly, @ 80,000, takes 6 hrs, net 525.00 per week

also do all fert and pest applications, mulch, prunning, irrigation services, occasional landscaping ( small)
    @$25,000 , 35 weeks, ans I budget 2 days per week

these are flat lawns except one, then I wish I had a hydro, but would be better off finding another flat one, drop hilly one
    Bought troybuilt slightly used and cheap, or otherwise would have purchase a commercial belt drive

Again, my main focus is fert, pest applications, overseeding, and install new turf; NOT MOWING!

hope this helps

8. Mark B

I will plan to do small residential , and SMALL comm lawns.
  9. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i started out mowing a 600 acre dairy with a push mower in tampa florida around 1967 the cows grazed on some of it and there were barns and different out buildings and so forth but i still mowed a bunch of it
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i believe the member on here "Jimlewis" uses only 21" mowers in his business. he has very insightful posts, so i imagine his business is very lucrative as well.