push or ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Jun 25, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

do you have a problem with some of your Residential clients prefering having you push mow with a 21" rather than using your bigger mowers. it seems like its half and half with me. i have even taken buisness away from some of the other guys because they do not want to push it. what should i do if i feel that the size and time would be used better if i rode it.
    thanks

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I ride where ever I can. I only have 2 that say no rider. No biggy, they aren't that big. If I have some body that says no rider that is too big to use a 21 on, then I tell them either I ride it, because I am SOOOOOOOO busy and that the rider is the back bone of my op, or I walk and they can find some body new. The choice is theirs, yes or no.
    New customers I will ask when I am bidding the job. If they say NO then I tell them sorry. That makes for a good way of prescreening potential customers. For me my niche is medium to large residentials and commercial properties. That means using a rider. I have the equipment and need to keep it busy as much as possible.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I dont mind walking but if it takes longer i charge more.most of them understand.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

When you think about it, it's harder to push a 21 incher than a bigger WB or rider. I had only one lawn that needed a 21" machine. I've since dropped the account, and with today's heat I'm real glad I did. FWIW, I still charged a dollar a minute to use the 21".
    Pete

5. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

YOU WANT YOUR LAWN PUSHMOWED, MOW IT YOURSELF!!!!!

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Don't even have a 21" on the trailer.

7. That's a way to go SIG!!!!!!!!

I don't have time to use a 21" unless the 36" wont fit or don't have a 36" on the trailer.

If it is small enough we will used the weed eater.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i will push it , but boy will they ever pay. its all about the money when a 21" is involved

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

:nono:

my biz my way

if a 21" is the best mower to use, i'll use it (we do lots of small props)

but if its a large lawn and someone is telling me use the 21"?

the trailer gate would be up before they finished their sentence.