1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Push or self-propelled 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harpoonalt, Apr 3, 2003.

1. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

It seems that a lot of you guys use self-propelled trim mowers. I've tried them, but the speed always seems unnatural to me and the mowers less reliable. Am I missing something? I just want a good push 21" mower for trim work and they are getting harder to find. Is a self propelled worth the extra weight and complexity and do they hold up under hard use.
  2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I've had a Toro Proline self propelled for 5 years and never done any thing to the drive but grease it. If your trying to talk your self out of the extra expense it's worth every penny. I started in the biz with a push mower and after about two days with a self propelled I wondered how I ever lived with out it. It depends on how you use it but after you go up a hill with a full bag the first time you'll be convinced.
  3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You just have to invest in a good commercial one. A pusher is fine if you only use one a little bit for trimming. I use mine quite a bit on smaller lawns.

The one I use is a john deere jx75. Expensive? yes, but worth it (to me). Has 5 speeds so it feels natural to me. Unreliable? Well, I have had mine for 2 seasons and it gets used almost every day of the week. I have never lost time due to a breakdown. The kawasaki engine is great!

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I also use a JX75. Yea, its a little heavy around 100lbs, but I'd rather not push the trim mower.
  5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

You Grass Hopper do not have enough yards. Push a 21 though a couple of yards :D
  6. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

Since getting my Exmark TTHP I don't use the trim mower too much. I guess I assumed most guys use the 21" just for trim, or small inaccessible areas. I seem to spend more time going back and forth with mine and the extra weight really hurts there. What do you use under trees or where your big mower won't fit. A push fits my needs but they seem to be getting rare.
  7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

We have lots of lawns where we have to use the 21's, I use only Self propelled, the employees love them, and I also only use Castor wheel mowers, those really do cut down on time. They make turns so fast it saves several minutes of mowing. Plus you can operate it with one hand, and in the other hand hold a drink.

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

self-prop definately.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I no longer take on any properties where I will need a 21" trim mower but then I did have properties that required them a self propelled commercial model was the way to go.

10. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21" "commercial" lawn boy that is light as a feather. It was built in 1980 I believe and the engine finally wore out. So I took the engine off of a 1979 model 19" and she runs like a champ!! For a touch up mower if this thing ever dies or the frame comes apart I will seek out another oldy but goody like her:D