Push Reel Mowers & Bermudagrass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 19, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, don't think I've lost my mind here.

I have a newer customer this year with sodded Tifway 419 in the front and sides of the house. Very small yard with lots of natural and mulched areas as well. As a matter of fact, last week I was there and I just used the trimmer to knock down some of the "high spots". No mower at all. This yard is also very bumpy and has irrigation heads.

Has anyone here used push reel mowers? A reel mower is obviously the ticket for hybrid bermuda but are push reel mowers a pain or do they do a pretty good job. I remember seeing old TV shows where they were cutting the yard with a reel mower and they were pushing and pulling over the same spots several times. Is that typical with a push reel mower or will they cut clean in one pass?

I can obviously use my 21" mower but to get it pretty low is going to cause some headaches with this rough surface. :)

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a customer with a very small Bermuda turf area. I was thinking about a puch reel mower, but I don't know if I want to deal with that.

3. lawnspecialties

If they work well, it would be great (and cheap). But if they don't, 21" scalping.:laugh:

4. lawnspecialties

Try once more, bump.:)

5. mowingizbestsport

mowingizbestsport LawnSite Member

I think the account would be a waste of your time, unless they are good paying customers.

6. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Tif419 will look fine when cut with a 21" rotary. All of the properties in one development we work in have 419, and I have yet to see anyone use a reel mower on it. Just cut it at a little higher level.

We use a gas reel mower on my personal zoysia lawn as well as a few others, but that's about it.

7. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

agree with bullethead. Grass is a little to thick for a hand reel mower. Some of the older hand mowers would do it no problem but most of them went to the smelter in World War 2 unless you find one in an antique store somewhere and then good luck on finding someone to sharpen it. Go to www.locke.com to see a good power one, can get on ebay too

8. lawnspecialties

That's the type of response I was hoping to see. Thanks for sharing your experience there, bullet.:)

9. surffkatt

surffkatt LawnSite Member
    from okc, ok

if you're willing to take space on the trailer for a push reel an old 20 in mclane also branded craftsman or wards can often be found really cheap tif and sunturf both look "ok" with a rotary but it shows especially scalps on bumpy turf
    generally reelmowed accounts command a higher price per foot due to equipment overhead also theres less choice of lco's willing to use reels

surff

10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Fargoboy, the web site is www.locketurf.com
    I have a C 125 and I like it however when I mow my Emerald Green Zoysia the rear wheel just makes it hard to keep straight lines and this with my lawn being sanded with riversand, I think my Tru Cut keeps a truer line.
    On the push mowers, I saw an elderly lady a week or so ago in Bethlehem Ga pushing her reel mower and it was cutting fine. But when the 419 takes off in the heat, it will be really rough cutting weekly, I would think it would need to be cut every 3 days from past experience with my lawns.