Push Rod Adjustment (how often)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I want my 15 HP Kawi to last a long time. In the manual it says to have the push rods checked/adjusted every 300 hours. How often do you guys have this done? Is it expensive if something happens to them from no adjustment?
    Also how often do you have the piston decarboned? Do you do this yourself?

Thanks...

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The push rod themselves are not adjustable. Its just a small metal rod thats slightly bubbled at each end. The adjustment is made on the valve side of the tappet. Turn the piston of the valve that your adjusting to TDC and check the clearance on both the intake and exhaust valve. I think on that Kawasaki its .002 clearance.

Also do this while the engine is completely cold. I would check my valves about once a year. In most cases if you have a problem, it will be something other than valve clearance.

Yes...I do all my own mechanical work.........

3. Husky03

I am not going to ever get inside of the engine. I really don't know the first thing. Sounds like you have experience, how often do you find they need adjustments? I would have to pay me dealer to make this adjustment so I want to be sure it needs it. Also what about carbon build up?

Thanks...

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

On both of my Kaw., it's .004-.006

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I wouldn't be concerned with carbon build up. Just mow at full throttle and you'll be ok. Have your valves check as per your manual. Oil, filters and grease should be your most concern. Change them often and wear those grease fittings out.

6. Husky03

I have the oil and filters thing down, but in the manual it does not go into detail on what areas need to be greased. Where can I find info on all of the specific areas to grease.

thanks...