push trimmer What is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutnitclose, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Taking a chance at looking stupid here "but what's new for me, I've got good at asking dumb questions" so hear we go.... I have seen a few people pushing what looked like a weedeater,
    1. Are they any good?
    2. would those qualify as an edger?
    I know.... before you say it "these newbies are killing me"
    but you don't know if you don't ask.....Thanx...

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are you talking about like the DR trimmer mower?

3. I guess it has a head like a weedeater and wheels on the back like a lawnmower, I don't really know to be honest..... I saw one and wasn't sure what it was.....

4. tiedeman

from earth

Have never personally used one. I know of others that use DR products and they are pleased with the products

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have seen them, but see no need for them. They do nothing that a mower and a shin T270 wouldn't do.

6. tiedeman

from earth

yup, totally agree. They seem too clumsy as well

7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen some people use them to cut down high weed and fields, and it did a decent job.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Again, it's nothing that a decent powered string trimmer wouldn't do. They do NOT work like how they look on t.v.. In the first place, if you try to cut to deep into any weeds, you end up with a bunch of weeds wrapped around the head, and it's choked out of power. Basically, these things are a gimmick for Joe Homeowner. Once you use one, you quickly learn that it's another waste of money, as it's so cumbersome. Not only are they impractical to use, but they can't taper or cut ground contours, either. A handheld is miles ahead of these things. They run their marketing, with their commercials, and show Joe out on his John Deere, while his wife is PUSHING this thing through the weedline at back of the property. What is that?!!! If you want to do that, then take your lazy rearend over there, and run your tractor 3" further into there, instead of making your WIFE do it, you putz!

9. Thanx for the info....... I was wondering if there was any since in having one... I'm going to pick up a new weedeater because I don't have a lot of faith in the one I currently have... Any sugestions? Please keep in mind I don't have any yards yet....

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa T260

...yup