1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Push Trimmers VS. Push MOWERS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clyde, Jul 14, 2004.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys

I got a weedeater WT4000A push trimmer the other week it was given to me by a local shop that was going to toss it.

I asked about it and they said take it .... please
    got it home and did a tune up and cleand the carb and fired right up....!:blob2:

well i have a yard that has a small back yard and a lot of turning ..

and someother accounts that i use i could use it on in parts when it rains and the 52" could get stuck or rut up things.

but i have been using this thing long enough now to see how its doing and I like it ... it cuts 20" and as long as there are no major sticks and things to snatch the string out or break it .... theres no problem .... OH unless the ground is potted really badly. As in one wheel sinks all the way down..

But this thing is only 20 lbs ,with a 4hp tecs... I got about
    $30 in it and uses half the gas that my push mower uses and there is never any blade shaping

I am starting to think this is the way to go... its not self pro.. but if u walk with pulling it its fine.

anyone else tried one ...?

Oh and i stay cleaner than if i string trimmed it ... which i have been doing ....
  2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Ask your self why were they tossing it. I think its more for long grass and I can't see to many clients being happy with the cut.
  3. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I don't think you would be able to stripe. But I would have taken it seing that it was free.
  4. clyde

they were tossing it b/c the for what ever reason the owner never came back and got , Maybe ding't have the money.

No it doesn't stripe...... ur right about that

but like i said

I am using it in very small back yards where it wouldn't matter or where I would have to string trim due to the rain anyway all my yards are open ... lucked up

the cut is clean it just doesn't stripe ...... that i have noticed yet ...

I would not use it to do an entire front yard or something larger than i described.

but i like the versatility of it not taking up a lot of room on the trailer and it being so lite.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact that it's not self-propelled suggests you'll get tired of it before too long. Sounds like a specialty item that is quite handy in a very limited set of circumstances.

How is it at light brush clearing?
  6. clyde

yea i was cutting this morning with it....

the thing i think is so good about it is the fact that it cuts the bahaya grass so well. Because the front of it is open ... the back is shielded.... i am still fixing little stuff with it ... so i can't really tell all that much .... right now but i think it will stripe? the mow ball is worn out on it which is the thing that the string head sits on it has a bearing up in so it doesn't rotate while ur mowing ...
    i got a new one today and am going to replace ASAP but i think once thats done it miiiiight?

limited yes but like i said i don't have but one or two backyards that i can't get my 52" walkbhd in so .... it fits my situtation perfect.....

I think everyone is starting to get larger gates for finishes these days or at least where i am i haven't seen but one or two and they look newer than the rest of the fence so i gues they upgraded since.

but i like it

I don't think i will get tired from pushing .... it doesn't weigh anything about the same as my stickedger... a little more but i pick it up with 2 hands and throw it on the trailor no prob.....
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Clyde, That's interesting, I have some places that it might do real good on as well, Like some LOOONG ditch lines that are too steep to mow or would wind up wrestling my 21"er.. I wish I could find one for $30 to see for myself...