1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Push type sprayers on the market

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

After attending last weeks MN Green Expo, saw a couple booths advertising their push spray units as a means to trim in very small lawns. Some are ground driven, some are 12V powered units. Some even have a hand wand to use for very tight trim.

Have any of you guys used any of these units? What is your though on their place on a guy's truck?

I have been kind of scratching my head a bit, thinking maybe instead of backpacking and killing my back on 4k sq ft lawns (I hate lugging 4 gals of mix it just KILLS your shoulders esp. in the heat), maybe something like this would be a better way to go, without having to go to a full out skid. I already use a ride on for lawns bigger than 5k sq ft.

Note that I am not talking about Synergy type drop in sprayers. Rather, something like the Turfex unit in the link below

2. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I have an earthway ss walk behind sprayer. It will work for me for now as this will my first year doing chemicals, got my license middle of last season, and can't afford/justify a skid or ride on. If you already have either of these I would not suggest purchasing a w/b sprayer for trim work. I would just suggest strapping on a back pack.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any experience with this type of sprayer, but saw this line at a dealer near me and it looked pretty interesting:

4. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a newbie, but for the past two summers I have trimmed out the worst of the worst in terms of overhanging plants (west virginia's finest gardens.....)
  5. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

from a 300 gallon skid.... good luck....
  6. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

How much is that turfex sprayer? If your customers don't mind u filling it up at every stop it could be a cheap way to get started. Problem I see is if your not pushing it up on a trailer is having to lift it all the ime into the back of a truck and if it's 1/2 full its gonna be heavy..

I personally would look for a skid unit..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I checked out that link to the turf ex sprayer last night after I posted about my earth way. MAN...I wish that thing would have been out when I bought my sprayer. I specifically asked if turf ex had a push sprayer and they did not at the time I was in the market. This looks like a much better unit than the one I ended up with. I believe mine can cover about 12k, this turf ex says it can cover 51k, HUGE difference. I do think the turf ex would need to be trailered or you could fab or buy a rack for the back of the truck. My only concern would be the battery for the turf ex. I would probably want to by a second battery just in case the first runs down out in the field. For some one starting out, these are a cheap way to get started. Only thing, be ready to get a work out. Hills...have fun.
  8. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Change the nozzles on your sprayer and go to a low volume mix and increase your sq footage. Buy a mobility/wheelchair battery with high Amp Hours for longer use between charges. They are going to be a bit heavier than a lawn and garden battery but theres tons of sizes and shapes to fit one.
  9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I like the wheel spray ground wheelie. Its doesn't have any motors or batteries. It sprays 6' and calibration is easy. The faster you walk the faster it pumps so you always get 1 gallon per k. Its about the same price as the turfex/ lesco push sprayer.

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

have you used one? wondering if they would put out as low as .5 gallon per 1,000. the 10 gallon one would be a beast to push... i wouldn't want to be doing no hills with that filled up! interesting looking machine though.. but i think a back pack still seems easier, and probally cheaper.