Push type sprayers on the market

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good stuff guys. No, I would not use this on hilly lawns. Just small resi's, in place of a backpack.

For all you that say just cover with a backpack, that is exactly what I am trying to get away from. IT KILLS YOUR SHOULDERS.

And I am not buying a skid. No need for one. With a ride on and a simple solution to cover small lawns, should be set without something as non portable as a skid.

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i blanket app weed control at a .5 gallon per 1k rate out of my 4 gallon manual pump backpack with a constant flow valve i picked up from gemplers. i don't mind it so much on smaller lawns. but i've found a 50 gallon skid with an electric shurflo pump and 150ft of hose that i'm gonna try to do something with, it is a year old and i'm getting a fairly good deal on it i think... but atleast i can mabee rig up a boom that i can walk with, or use a chemlawn gun at a 1.5 gallon rate or something for herbicide apps. i rather not mess with 100's of gallons of liquid in the back of my truck, 50 wouldn't be to bad.. i hope to get a permagreen later as well when i have enough accounts to justify it. what about the drop ins that go on lesco spreaders??

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

No i personally havent used one. I talked to a guy who really liked them. He had the 6 gallon one and used it for small lawns/ tight areas.

4. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

What's the basic prices for the wheelys? They look interesting.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The Turfex unit looks like it sprays about as wide as a Perma Green. Could be difficult for trim work. I just use a backpack for areas I can't get with the Perma Green... which unfortunately sometimes means those areas don't get sprayed when it's hot and I'm tired and don't feel like doing it lol. I've thought about getting a skid sprayer setup but can't justify that for just a few back yards or intricate areas.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Remember water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon. 12 gallons is just over a hundred pounds. I suspect the unit itself with battery probably weighs at least 35 pounds empty Don't plan on going uphill--nor lifting it onto your pickup

Perhaps your shoulders would feel a bit more rested if you filled your backpack only half way--and used a more concentrated solution so you would cover the same sqft per fill. Also consider an electric backpack.
    Matter of fact--has anybody been able to devise a system to carry your electric backpack in your spreader--easy push and spot spray.

7. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i've seen these before that go in the spreader, i see them for sale on here and ebay.. now and again. i think cub cadet makes one too. wonder if they were worth it? seems like a neat idea.. but the weight of it might not be such a good idea unles you have no hills.

http://www.gregsonclark.com/spreadermate.html

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My supplier had the grounds wheelie 6 gallon for just under $800.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Metro how good can you trim spray with that wheelie? How wide is the pattern?

I would hope for tight quarters and small lawns, the pattern isn't over like 4-5 feet wide at most.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member