1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PUSH vs Self Propelled 21" -

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Jul 10, 2004.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I cut primarily StAugustine. I only handle a few customers right now. I can get a cheap self-propelled ($300) or a nice used commercial Push mower. Would it be a pain to use a Push mower in my case? I am only familiar with self-propelled models. PUSH users please "chime in".
  2. Bchlawns

Bchlawns LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would get a self-Propelled if i wa onl mowing 1 lawn. It is well worth the little extra money. Comercial mower 21" are very expensive. I mow a lot of residential lawns now so i moved to the ommercial, but i was using $300 rsidential mowers for quiteawhile they work greatdepnding onwhat u get.
  3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't say I was mowing one lawn. I handle a few customers.

I want to know if it's really that much harder to "push" a mower through St Augutine. Are there any benefits to having a mower with no drive system?
  4. Pikey2574

Pikey2574 LawnSite Member
    from Tejas

Yes it is hard to push through St. A. I would for sure pay for the self propelled.
  5. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Self propelled is the way to go!!!!!!

We've got 21" commercial toro personal pace mowers and really like them. We use them on small jobs and slopes were our Walkers won't go.

They either bag or you insert a plug and they can mulch. We've got the commercial grade deck but if money is an issue you can get the residential one. The difference is the commercial deck is a heavy duty aluminum and the height adjusters are part of the deck rather then a bolt on thin metal piece. If I remember correctly they are about $100 bucks more then the residential unit.

We don't use ours very much so the residential unit would have worked fine and would have saved $$. If you are using yours as a primary mower I think my advise would be the commercial mainly because the tougher adjusters. The residential adjusters don't look like they could take every day use and banging around a trailer all day. Check them out but its your $$. I'd think long term though, you don't want to buy a cheaper model and have to spend money on repairs.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Toro does not make a commercial 21" with the Personal Pace System. All of their commercial self-propelled units have a 3-speed trans.
  7. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Sorry Rick Jones they are 22". And they are Toro Personal Pace units, ours are all model #20037.
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Rick's Right...Personal Pace is Homeowner Junk...The Proline Commercial Models are All 3 Speed Trans...
  9. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

self propelled is the way to go...
  10. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Opinions, got to love em!!!! Thats what makes AMERICA GREAT, we can express them freely.