Pushed it back in the garage

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Launch, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Launch

Launch LawnSite Member

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I picked up my new Mini Fastrak 17/42 July 1, 2005 serial # 05062232. I mowed the lawn when I got it and the lawn was full of blade circles. My yard is a high quality lawn of st. augustine and I am mowing at 2 1/2". I lowered the anti-scalp wheel to the bottom hole and mowed again July 7th. After mowing 1/2 the yard, I stopped to try to evaluate why I was still getting the blade circles. My wife came out to look and suggested that I get the old 1979 John Deere 212 out to finish the job since we had company coming over that evening and she was embarrassed the way the lawn looked. I said OK and was going to put the MFT back in the garage and it wouldn't start. The starter would only spin and wouldn't engage the flywheel so I disengaged the drive wheels and pushed it back in the garage and finished with the old John Deere that gave the rest of the yard a beautiful cut. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. No need to hurry since we have no local dealer and I will have to rent a trailer to take it back to the dealer (150 mile round trip) to get it where it will start again. Thanks!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me please ASAP, I will get this looked into as soon as I have your information.
    As far as not restarting, I am at a loss there, being so new, and the starter engages but wont turn the engine over, not quite sure what the problem would be, other than maybe a weak battery.
    As far as the cut goes, I feel you may be mowing too low, what height (as measure at the blade tip) are you cutting with the JD?

Pj

3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Agreed, you may be cutting way, way too low. I cut my St Augustine grass at just a hair under the maximum it will go. You don't want to cut it low.

Think of this, look at the letter 'Y' as a piece of grass that has grown long enough to grow two blades. If you constantly cut too low, it will never become thick. I've been cutting much higher now for over a year and my grass couldn't be thicker. I have some individual pieces of grass with four blades coming from the same root.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The typical height for cutting St. Augustine in much of Texas is 2 1/2" or maybe 3" inches. He should not have a problem with the appearance of his lawn when cutting at 2 1/2". It may be that his setting of 2 1/2" does not actually match what the deck cutting height really is.
    Launch, I would suggest while the mower is in the garage on concrete, that you set it at 2 1/2", and measure to see if that is where the blades are really cutting. Might be that it left the factory out of adjustment.

5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I have a ST. Aug. yard that i cut @ 2 1/2 or 3. You may have a blade up side down. Check that before you haul it back. You have some deck problem. Check tire pressures. Good luck

6. Launch

Launch LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay in replying but the power supply in my computer decided to go South. Got a new one in and am back up & running. Since my 1st post, and after letting my Hustler sit for about 5 days, it decided to start again. As for the cut, I am up to 3 1/8 inches and still not getting the quality of cut I was getting from my John Deere at 2 3/4 inch. I sure hope I can figure out how to get a good looking yard by mowing it with this little bugger because it is fun to mow with. Thanks to you good folks that have replied offering your help! :)

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Launch,
    Please e-mail me, so I can get your information to our customer service department.

Pj

8. Launch

Launch LawnSite Member

Thanks Mowingman! The measurements I quoted were measured in the garage on the concrete floor. The deck cutting height is 1/8 inch off therefore with the gauge set at 3 inches, the blade tip is 3 1/8 inches from the floor. Thanks!

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I just think the Hustler is hitting the contours of the lawn differently to that of the JD. Sometimes lawns here (eg. bermuda) have to be "trained" to deal with the different cutting machine. Remember the Hustler is a rigid frame and the tractor has pivoting front axle so goes over contours differently! Happens all the time to me when take over mowing from a customer whos LT has broken down or what ever. Because my machine is bigger and longer, it follows contours differently to there machine.

I dont know St. Augustine at all but what I do on Bermuda is cut lower than was done originally (scalp a little) then when it grows back, raise the deck some and mow at that height from then on. Basically training the lawn to grow at that height.

Like I said, I dont know St. Augustine so you may want to ask someone who does about that idea!

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Launch,
    I received your e-mail and have forwarded it to the proper people, they will get you taken care of.

Pj