1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am wondering what are advantages to pusher blades, except you don't have to windrow? what are the advantages? I am thinking of making one out of the blade i have on my garden tractor, and the sides can hinge out, after unlatching them, and can act as wings, and i can angle the blade to work like before only wider if i want, or can put the sides back in position and latch them and use as pusher again. Does anyone know about how far forward the sides go from the blade to the outmost edge on a big pusher for a truck or tractor? I am looking around on different pusher sites to try to find dimensions, and scale down to my 40" blade. Thanks,
    Eric

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not certain on the dimensions for pusher boxes, I believe the main advantage is you can carry more snow in front of you when doing a long push. (And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't have any experience actually using them!)

A suggestion: Make your sides so they can work in 3 positions: Pusher box configuration, scoop position (About the same angle as a V-plow in the "scoop" setting) and straight out as wings. This may require having a couple of different braces to drop in for the various settings. (One brace could serve for pusher box/scoop, with two different spots to secure it to your blade. Then make a separate one to brace the sides in the wing position. Wing setting is where the brace will be most important.

Also, keep in mind the traction issue - the more snow (weight) you're pushing up front, the more you'll need on the back end to keep the wheels driving you. Try it out, and if neccesary a counterweight can always be fabbed up for the back of the tractor to be used when needed.

Good luck with your idea, and keep us posted on progress!

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Right Rob.. i was thinking of making something for a weight bracket, it will need it. good idea, making it able to "scoop" also. How come i have never seen a V-plow in the scoop position? i realize they don't transport them that way, it sticks out too far, but don't they ever take pictures of them like that? i'd like to see some. This blade might have to wait a while. Its too cold out, and our garage isn't heated. I also have to get some metal.

(Rob: i have worked much on my cultivator, but originally i wanted to make it mount under the tractor, then i decided it wouldn't clear the crops enough, and if i made it so it would, it wouldn't be able to lift high enough to clear the ground , so i am changing it to mount on back. someone on here once said "The road less traveled is usually that way for a reason" well, cultivator mounting locations are no exception. Will try to get you pics of both of these projects when i get done with them. By the way, what are good places to buy angle metal and other metal peices? a welding shop maybe? How much does it cost, different lengths and thicknesses? Thanks!)
    Eric

4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Eric - in the thread "Done for the season?" at the bottom of pg 1 is a reply by Dockboy, click on the link that ends "stacking3.jpg" for a nice pic of a V-plow in the scoop position stacking a pile.

As far as a steel supplier and pricing goes, you ask a good question there. Being in the trade and therefore surrounded by the stuff, I've never thought much about where someone like yourself would go to buy steel. To be honest I don't know what prices would be like in your area. Since most of the pieces you will be using will be fairly small, I would suggest (if possible) getting to know a fab shop near you, preferably a small one (they're more likely to be willing to deal with an individual) and asking about purchasing some of their "drop" (pieces cut off of stock 20' and 24' lengths that are leftover from other projects) or taking a look in their scrap bin - a lot of stuff that goes in the scrap metal bin is still useful for small projects. Sorry I can't be any more specific there - hopefully someone else out there can offer some info!

PS - no pickings in my work's scrap bin - most of the good stuff comes home with me! :D

[Edited by 75 on 03-06-2001 at 03:03 AM]

5. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

BHB

I buy steel from a metal recycling yard where tear-outs from factories etc. are taken. Most of these places also sell new steel but used is just that used so if you pick through it carefully you can find what you want normally at a very good price.

Bruce

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

ok thanks guys... will look around...
    Eric