pusher too heavy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cutnchukcanuk, Jul 9, 2007.

1. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

I would like to use a snow pusher on my case 1840 this winter. I like what I have read about the Protech and the FFC. An 8' would be my preference, but my machine isn't that big. I was surprised to see that when comparing the Protech and the FFC that the FFC weighs 1005 lbs. and the Protech comes in at 800 lbs. for an 8'. Now add 277 lbs. for the pull back option and you have a 1300 lb. unit, unless the 1005 includes the pullback. The website doesn't say. My 1840 has a 1500 lb. rating. Would that much weight help me in terms of inertia or would it be a detriment? Add the weight of the snow when stacking and on paper I might be in trouble. I realize the amount and density of the snow is the key factor, and this should be remedied in most situations with common sense plowing. Thanks!

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

serisouly...you just not hearing what you want to hear?

and 8foot protech will work just fine. you just have to plow with the storm. this means leaving your ss in one place or trailering it through a storm.

of you want to get a 6 foot. get it...it wont hurt it will just take longer.

I like protech as I have a good dealer, they are priced right, and the co. stands behind their products. Oh and they are conservative on their specs.

go ask your case dealer or call your protech dealer.

A little reasarch on your part on one of the 4 sites you have posted this same question too will go along way.

3. cutnchukcanuk

Thanks for your response Salopez. Yes you caught me posting the same question here and at plowsite:nono: I posted there first but thought there is more traffic here this time of the year. I only posted this question in those two forums. I have read up alot on this topic, but opinions change and new opinions are given. I found out today that there isn't a protech distributor in Canada and ffc's closest is 14 hours away. 3-4 k is alot of money for me to spend on an attachment that I have no experience with so I ask. My question isn't simply is "are pushers good" I was refering to the weight difference between the two makes and their performance on my machine specifically. The case 1840 seems similar in size, but more hp than a number of units it is catagorized with. I did have a chance to speak to a ffc distributor in Alberta and he says the pusher isn't a good choice for me and I need to go with a plow and maybe the wing kit 7' max. He was pushing the Snow Wolf Ultra series line instead of ffc. The guy at Snow Wolf agreed. Protech sounds great. Around 2775 us$ with pullback kit but shipping for me is 950 us$ out of NY. In case of a breakdown of parts I would have an issue. I will take the opinions of the guys who run the equipment over the sales guys everytime. I appreciate you taking the time to post twice. I hope I can make up my da^& mind before snow falls. :hammerhead:

ps at least I didn't ask "which is the best skid steer to buy"!:drinkup:

4. salopez

why isnt a pusher good for you?

What will you be doing?

why do you need the backdrag?

why a plow? if you are going to run a plow, might as well put it on a truck since the ss only goes 7 or so mph.

There really arent any parts to break. I have been running the same skids and cutting edges for three years...just pad up the skids and I have a great cutting edge dealer in upstate ny I can set you up with.

If you need to clear space and short order and you are plowing with the storm nothing will do better then a box for your machine.

5. cutnchukcanuk

Good points salopez! I have an 02 dodge 3500 4x4 that I could plow up if I wanted to, but I would rather use the skid. This will be my first year in the snow business and am currently trying to get a plan together to pickup some smaller commercial lots, townhouses etc. I am not sure how to break into this but I will have to find a way like most of you did. At first I thought I would and still might do some residential to get started out there which is one reason for the backdrag. Though I do realize that unless I can get a good grouping of homes together the trailering will be big PIA! Also pulling snow off of smaller sidewalks would give and extra element to what I can do in the time I have to do it. I get what you are saying about plowing with the storm. As a homeowner you tend to think of clearing when the snow is done!

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Something to keep in mind: your skid steer weight rating is probably based on a % of full tipping load, with a standard bucket. Since you aren't picking that plow up off the ground, and since you will be taking the bucket off, you are *probably* nowhere near the weight limit for your loader.

Of course, I live in Alabama where we don't ever plow snow. Ever. So I couldn't tell you if that machine would push snow or not, but it should be able to drive around with either of those plows on it without tipping over.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 8' FFC snow pusher. This is last year was my first winter with it. This is what I learned and what I believe to be true. Your 1840 has enough hp to run the snow pusher. What it lacks is weight. The snow pusher works awesome on the 465 @ 9K pounds plus I can push snow up over the top of the pusher. My 440 which is 3K pounds lighter does not push as well even though the engine hp is the same between the two machines. I would get the 6'pusher if it were me and I had an 1840 an plan on chaining the machine up. The other issue is the width makes it more difficult to trailer for me.

The FFC is well built. I have the back drag blade on it. I have found that it does not work all that well.

8. salopez

If I were going for a townhouse project by you, I think I would look into a snow blower for the case. Something with a power shoot. This way you dont need a backdrag, you can wait longer to start, and you dont have to worry about space to put snow.

remember you might run out of space for snow in a townhouse community. Would you have to plow the roads too? If so Throw a plow on the dodge and you would have one mean snow plowing team.

If you are going for small commerical I would go pusher. Personally I don't like to trailer in the snow. I like to have a lot big enough to leave a skid the whole storm.

9. cutnchukcanuk

Thanks for the advice site solutions, ksss and salopez. Not being certain of how succesful I am going to be at nailing down contracts, and the specifics of each contract makes a guy a little tentative. Time will tell!

10. cutnchukcanuk

I was sold on that backdrag! Maybe not anymore. I thought the price was crazy in relation to the cost of the whole unit. In theory it looked like a real useful tool for the tops of residential drives. cleaning along curbs, etc..