1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pushing across a street

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by columbiaplower, Jan 18, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i was told by a resident that i was not suppose to push across a street when plwing driveways. ive heard about this before but never had any problems. what about all of you? if u cant do this than that would make alot more work.
  2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well if they catch you in mas you get a fine it's a big no no here.And it will cost you if the cop doesn't like you.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Cant do that anywhere legally,I wont do it,keep the snow on your side of the road.If there were an accident caused by the snow being in the road,or because you pushed the salt /sand off the road,you are liable and will be held accountable for it.Hope you have that 1 mill coverage.Dont take this personally,but pushing snow across the road is a sign of an amatuer,profesionals do not do it,at least its that way here.
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I never had to push across the road in any of my drives or lots a good plower can do it with out pushing across.
  5. Leroy

Leroy LawnSite Member

A few years back some of the local governments were making noise about pushing across roadways. I don't know if there are any ordinances against it but we don't do it, you're asking for trouble sooner or later.
  6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

It's illegal here. The DOT guys will sometimes report you, or if the police see you they'll ticket you. Cause an accident and you're in deep caw-caw!

7. same thing here. once in a storm at one customer, they are two wall each side of the driveway and a little place for the snow, so i try to put some between the street and the sidewalk. In the afternoon the guys with the bombardier had to back up twice to clean the sidewalk....2 days later he had a notice in the letter box explaining the next time is a fine...Don't need to tell you that I received a phone call fews minutes latter.

All snow must remain on property regardless residential, commercial or industrial. Even if the lot of the others side of the street is vacancy (execpt if you are allowed by the owner(and have it on paper)). Prohibited on all ciy ground.
  8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Due to the regionality of the snow industry, and the fact that standards change from region to region, I would respectfully submit that making specific references to what is considered "professional" and being an "amatuer" might be construed as being narrow minded. In some markets that get boo koo snow, going across the street with snow is not the "no-no" you might think it to be.

Now... I've never heard that actually LEAVING snow in the street is allowed anywhere, but I do know that in some selected markets taking it across the street is not considered unprofessional, but necessary (and in some cases, encouraged) in order to survive some storms and their aftermath.

Some might be offended by such a broad statement. Keep in mind that what is banned in one region may be accepted in others.

Just a thought from a plower that considers himself a professional, and in a market that gets several 24"+ snowfalls a season (and at least one 36-42" snowfall every other year) and where not taking snow across the street can mean that a resident can be snowbound for a couple weeks.....

It's not illegal here to take it across the street, but it is illegal to leave it in the street.

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

With the Boss v, it is a great thing to be able to carry snow and deposit it where ever it makes most sense. Sometimes that means across the street. On my private roads, almost all of the driveways snow goes across. It makes the most sense, and is safer because it reduces the visibility problem of huge piles on each side of the drive, right at the road. Now in towns, you gotta abide by local law. But I don't see it as a "pro/amatuer" issue.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

John,like i said,i didnt mean to offend anyone,but here you are not allowed to push snow across the street for any reason.It is illegal,you of all people should know that,due to you removing salt/or sand from the road.I know for a fact this is the case here,now on unplowed backroads or in come cases yes you are right,but like I said,here it isnt necessary,and 99% of those doing it are not commercial plowers,they are personal use/and helping neighbors out.Maybe laws in the snow belt are different or relaxed more,but here they are strictly enforced,traffic is so bad here,anything that slows it down or could cause an accident gets you a nice fine.