Pushing sh...Sand uphill

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Squizzy246B, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I've just been asked to quote on job that nobody else in town wants. Its one of the jobs we have a rep for ...high pucker factor, crap access (probably needs a helicopter) and plenty of logistic problems. I really screwed up and didn't take my camera but basically its a 3 terraced/tiered walls with a swimming pool at the top.

Total height is 18 feet. The lowest wall is 4 foot off the road and it belongs to the city. It is full of cracks and needs replacing but thats not in my scope of works. The first terrace sits back 7 feet (room for a mini-ex) and the second wall is cracked and falling away. Its about 8 foot high at the highest. Above that is a pitched motared stone retainer leading up to some piers and fencing around the pool. Don't ask me what is holding the piers up there but 2 have already fallen down.

A look at the pavers around the pool shows they have slipped already with 1" gaps between them. The whole lot is perched on the side of a sandhill and as per usual compaction (lack thereof) is the problem...as well as crap stone work in the first place.

Its all out of hand and quarry cut natural limestone, some sandstone and it has had various add on's and bodgey repairs over the years. The wall continues on around and up the hill forming the boundary of the neighbours property so I have to renew in the same material and style. SRW is not an option.

There is no option but to tear it down and start over. I intend (subject to engineering approval) not to renew the pitched wall (top) part but to rebuild the second wall up to full height, thus adding about 30 y2 of useable area to the clients property.

The only problem is backfilling the wall. There is NO opportunity to fill from the top. I calculate I will need about 35 cubic yards. I can't use a big ex because I have nowhere to stockpile and dig from and it would need to be 35 tonne machine to reach. Plus there is knacker all room at the road verge and we are talking a well heeled suburb. The roads are made of pavers and the country club is down the road (Squizzy rolls up in old rusty ford:) amongst the BMW's and Mercedes).

The best method I can think of is to park our 9 tonne dump truck (full of sand) against the lowest wall and run a dirt/gravel conveyor up over the the back of the second wall from the back of the truck. Can anybody else think of a method of slinging 35 yards of fill over the back of an 18 foot high wall??.

Yes I will post some pic's if my quote does good.

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

3. Squizzy246B

Great piece of machinery. Haven't seen one for rental here yet but I'm looking around.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Squiz - Do you guys have Extendable loaders down there? Like a Gradall or the like? We used on on a big stone job. We threw a bucket on the front and placed the stone on the hill and raked from there. I think the reach was like 26-30 feet or so.

Chris

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

6. Squizzy246B

Ok, a Manitou with a bucket. Load straight out of the back of our truck and up over the wall. Great idea, and why didn't I think of that?.

7. cgland

Telehandler! That's what I was talking about!

Chris

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

A TH103 Cat has a 60' reach and can carry 4000 lbs at 35' away from the machine. You can get them with buckets and or forks. Other than that, find an old crane laying around and buy it, then auction it off when you are done with the job.

9. Squizzy246B

Yup, My next call is to Cat rental...can't believe I didn't think of that...with all the other dramas this job presents I can't fathom why I wasn't straight onto it. Must have been out in the sun too much...you guys remember the sun don't you???

10. cgland

We know you Aussies aren't the sharpest!:p Too many Fosters in the hot sun. lol

Chris