Put Add a leaf's in the back of my truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deere615, Sep 14, 2008.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I decided to put in extra leaf on each side in the back of my truck. New Leafs only ran about $40 a piece. I was mad when me and my friend took a part my truck because I had told them I needed 3/8 thick and they only gave me 1/4 thick and I didn't realize it until then. The hardest part was bending the brackets back after the new leaf was added. I still put on the cheapo brackets that they gave me though. It didn't give the truck to much lift, but it I bet it will help alot when hauling loads. Heres a few pics:
    Truck before, Its a little hard to tell the difference, I believe it was only about .5"-1" difference
    Truck sitting normal.jpg
    Parts
    Add a leaf parts.jpg
    Before
    Old springs-wheel off.jpg
    Before
    Old springs.jpg

Truck sitting normal.jpg

Add a leaf parts.jpg

Old springs-wheel off.jpg

Old springs.jpg

2. deere615

More pics:
    These were what was a pain bending back
    Old Brackets.jpg
    These were the new brackets, I just put these on for extra
    New bracket.jpg
    with the extra leaf
    new leaf 1.jpg
    After, sorry I didn't get a real good after pic
    Truck after.jpg

Old Brackets.jpg

New bracket.jpg

new leaf 1.jpg

Truck after.jpg

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

That will help A little...Good job!

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Should have went with Air Bags better ride more weight handling

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A half ton is just that it doesn't carry weight very well.

You may have spring problems with that add a leaf being thinner and has less spring rate.

I don't like air bags they give you a false sense of load carrying capacity but they would have been easier to do.

6. deere615

Thanks, I would like to get a 3/4 ton soon but I figured this would help some with hauling
    I don't like airbags too much, I did think aout it though.
    Ya, thats why I wanted an extra leaf. what problems do you think it would cause?

7. Riley Lawn Service

Riley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

not bad looks like you did a good job does it make your suspension extremely stiff or is it still about the same my truck is a half ton and i am thinkin about putting some add a leafs so i can get it up to a 3/4 ton.

8. deere615

It doesn't feel like it affected my ride at all. Are you going to put 1 or 2 in each side?

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When you have springs with different spring rates you can cause the weaker springs to break. The leaves should be the same thickness and have the same arc and the same spring rate.

10. Duke9590

Duke9590 LawnSite Member

You still haven't really tested what kinda load it would haul other than just your trailer. I don't like air-bags. Yea it gives you a smother ride but you get better traction with leaf springs.