put all my eggs in one basket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SummitLawn, Apr 15, 2004.

1. SummitLawn

SummitLawn LawnSite Member

I just got word back a commercial account that they decided to go with someone else. I was pretty pissed. I had always done an unbelievable job but they said they got a lower bid. I was like fine, wait till they do a shitty job and who will be pissed. That place took up about 2 days of my week with 3 guys. Now im scrambling to find customers to fill up those days.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Suggestions... yeah its part of business, you will pick up more.. dont sweat it.:D

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

fill the space with residential customers.

and you really had about 40& of your eggs in one basket.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel for you. Probally about 60% commercial for me. Iv'e had them for 5 + years and have never raised price on them but still you never know. I keep in the back of my mind that they could drop me at any time, for whatever reason, but I don't stress over it. (Not too much anyway,LOL) If that day ever comes I'll deal with it by going after residentials to fill the void. Unfortunately this is part of doing business. Good luck.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Lesson for everyone. Don't let one customer make or break you. It can happen to anyone of us. That was way to big a percentage of business to take a chance on.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

And the answer is. Layoff the other two guys and you got a full week again.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too have one major customer, and he makes up for about 12% of my gross income. Kind of scary if I was to ever lose him.

8. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

yup, kinda scary I have 3 accounts that account for 50% of my income. I guess thats way they say diversify.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this happen lots. Those faceless corporate customers, HOA's and anywhere else that looks for the bottom barrel cutter. Its too bad that quality and trust aren't something they can appreciate.
    Sorry you got stiffed. Hopefully its early enough so you can bridge the gap. Good Luck. One door closes and another opens.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Not trying to bust your balls, but how is it possible to not raise your price in 5 years?