put doubles on today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 23, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well i put doubles on today, and well, all i have to say is WOW! i couldnt belive how much they help, i wish i would have done this sooner. they cut up sooo fine and crisp, im not sure, but i bet it allows more grass to be put in the bag too because of its small size.

i just figured i would tell ya, i was sceptical about it before, but really glad i did! only thing is, i wont be using it this week, im demoing a gravely 144z tommarow :) gonna see how i like it and maybe buy a 144z or a 34z, im leaning towards the 34z sense i have a 48, but idk, if i can sell the 48 soon, then i'd get the 144z.

2. ejd

ejd LawnSite Member

Do I under stand that you put double blades on your mower?

I tried this once and had problems with keeping the blades from moving around.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

i used an impact wrench so they shouldnt be going anywhere

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

dixie chopper does make a double blade spacer which keeps the blades in the x formation....as long as you dont hit anything big you should not have a problem at all....

EJD....the benifits for doubles are absultly incredable...if you were having problems keeping them inline then you must have been hitting things...i used them without the spacers for 3 years and they would move if you hit something and that was it.

i would tell everyone to atleast try doubles...ive been doing it for 4 years and i learned from the best cutter in the industy(EricELM) and he swore by them mand told me to try them and i did and havent ran singles since:)

5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

dumb question, but does it matter if their in X or + formation?

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had the luck some of you guys have had with doubles. They really make a diference on my 21inch, but every thing else it really doesnt change much to be noticable, except for mulching leaves.

7. barringtonbrothers

isnt a X a + on its side? i believe its a 90angle from where they meet.

8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

oh yeah, duh. sorry its a little late and i cant think. lol. thanks for reminding me. boy i feel dumb. ah well, a tad to tired i guess.

9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

correct......barringtonbrothers...what type of mowers have you tried them on and not been satisfied?

10. barringtonbrothers

I have them now on my 36inch wb. I have been running them for a month, but I really dont see a difference, except my mower and belts work harder. I tried them on my Z, but it has blade sadles so the bottom blade was around a inch from the top. I didnt like it cause it made it scalpe easier, and yes I took in account my blades being lower, but on the Z it really made no differnce. I havent tried it on the exmark as I am really pleased with its cut and it looks like scalping will be a issue there too. But on my toro proline 21inch it really works well with the mulch plug in.