Put in new rotor sprinkler heads where there used to be spray heads...they won't work

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cbwardrop, Jun 7, 2008.

1. cbwardrop

cbwardrop LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a very ameteur question. Working with a pre-existing system that used all spray heads. Spray heads provide inadequate coverage (if at all), so I decided to try rotors.

Got some small Rain Bird rotors, screwed them in, and now ... nothing. The head pops up, water squirts for a second (as if clearing the line), but it does not operate.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
  2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Post this in the Irrigation forum. Those guys in there can help you out.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No we won't. we're a bunch of drunk prima donnas (not sure of the spelling)
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet there is a change in pressure throughout the system with different heads. It may not have the power to operate several heads/zone. You should be able to change out the inserts to adjust the flowrate. I'd start with this and see if it makes a difference.
  5. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

You have to find out how much pressure and flow the system is operating with before determining which and how many heads can be run on each zone.
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

The rotating heads require a lot of water. Sounds like you don't have enough supply capacity.
  7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pressure issue??? or a leak what is the gpm of the new rotator vs the old pop up? which rotator did you use the 1/2" 3/4" or 1"???? and how many did you change???