put new bearing in spindle..but..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, Mar 26, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

GD surfer- put a new bearing in spindle- turns over nice and smooth until..I slide bolt up from bottom with blade on it. when I tighten down nut on this bolt it seems to make upper/lower bearings have resistence. it turns but harder than other two. Is it possible the spacer in center of spindle isn't long enough (wore from spinning from locked up old bearing?) and thus not bottoming out between two bearings? Thanks- Geno

2. jtm22

jtm22 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

From the owners manual pg 21:

"IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! The clearance between
    the lower bearing and the housing is only 0.05 mm
    (0.002 in.). Do not force bearing into housing.'"

...Biggest type on the page, must be important. If I were you I'd first double check that everything is sitting in the spindle housing correctly. If it is, replacing the spacer would be this guys next move. Did you also torque it to specification? I've seen too many people crush spacers tightening down shafts/bolts with impact guns, that'll cause some resistance too.

Just an opinion, not sure which exact model you have, but goes well with the first series ones I've worked on.

3. mowisme

I took things back apart. you can tell old bearing spun around and wore spacer. has cuttung edge now where as other side normal. I had to 'shot-peen housing to keep bearing tight. Wish I could down-load a manuel..maybe I'll see if local shop has one. Not sure what clearence they sare talking about? looks as both sides of spindle housing has a step for the bearing to rest on. When both bearings are seated all way against the step (ridge) the spacer rattles back and forth by atleast 30mm. thinking when I tighten bolt the center of bearing isn't resting against that spacer thus binding the center of each bearing as they tend to squeeze together as they arn't bottoming out on spacer....make sense? Geno P.S. I am wondering if the spec you gave me is the distance between spacer and center of bearing when both bearings are in place? Gene

4. jtm22

jtm22 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

5. mowisme

I guess 'service manuel, would get into more detail..but downloaded owners manuel for newer model- looks to be a lot the same. lot of good info in it , torques,ect.. thanks again Gene P.S. mine is Model GDSM52

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Some times when bearings seze up they spin in the spindle housing and screw up the housing. You talked about peaning the housing to hold the bearing. You should not have to do that. Something is wrong with the housing, or the other old parts that you are trying to use. A lot of times its cheaper in the long run to just buy a new compleat spindle housing

7. mowisme

your right on that- got $42 in bearings alone. Should have just bought complete assembly. now trying to salvage it by using bearings already bought. thanks- Gene