Put on a show for the neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Jun 10, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I was cutting with my 38" walk behind yesterday riding my single wheel velkey. I made a sharp corner and was heading up the yard on a small slope. All of a sudden my feet get planted in the ground and I do a face-plant just missing the control console with my head. The cotter pin on the knuckle that holds the platform to the connecting bar came out and the platform just stopped (dropped out of the bar). Didn't hurt too bad (just my ego) but when I looked up, the neighbor kid (and ex-student of mine) was laughing his A** off. You can bet I'll be checking those pins EVERY time from now on.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same thing happen to me once...damn thing started dragging me across the lawn!

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had the ''E clip'' come off my velke 1 time, same place as yours, i went to my knee's pretty fast

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for letting me know what to expect from one of those. Sorry its at your expense. Lol......

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That does sound funny! I'm also glad you didn't get hurt!

One time I was playing around with my old Gravely gear drive and decided to make it into an impromptu rider. So I start it up, put it into fifth gear and lock the levers. Then I climbed up on the engine and sat my butt on the console. No problem. I release the levers and started cruising along. I'm thinking to myself that I'm pretty cool, I got a rider for the cost of a walkbehind. Then I decided to get off of the mower. That's when my troubles started. I squeezed in the controls levers fine but I couldn't get them to lock. So I decide to jump off of the mower. Well somehow I ended up being dragged behind the mower looking up at the sky. Being the cool, calm, collected guy I am I quickly let go of the mower, jumped up and started running after it as it raced down the street all by it's self. That was my last attempt at that genius idea.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Why didn't I just turn it off. Duh-hur.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, at least you have a sense of humor and let the kid have a good laugh. Glad you were not hurt.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I just about spit my dinner over the monitor picturing that. Thanks for the laugh, and glad you are ok. :)

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Richard I did the same thing once with my bunton. I would sit on one side of the gas tank. Keep one hand on the safety and ride from job to job (I was 13 at the time) I grabs both handle when I hit a bump to keep from hitting the curb. Well I let them go to fast and pulled a wheel while sitting on it. Scared me good. I never did that again.

9. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Omg how sadly hillarious, I would hate that