1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

put on the gloves its time for the kohler kawi war

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Downeast, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Allright guys and gals lets here it . What Rules Kohler OR Kawi ?
    Let there be no doubt
    let there be only one engine idleing

Seriously lets here what you guys have to say for us newbies trying to figure out the best motor for our buck , and piece of mind. Specially the piece of mind . So tighten your belts {mower}and sharpen your blades . Lets here what you have to say.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

each engine has its pros and cons, choose the engine that has the cons that will least go against u. each person has there own personal opinion, id probs go with the kohler, no special reason.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I own (and like) 'em both.

Still, I'm trying to figure out how to shoehorn a supercharged Chrysler 426 Hemi into my Lazer. :D
  4. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

Kawasaki rules! They're not as popular in the south as Kohler and they are a little more money. I ran a Kawasaki on a 36 Ferris for 10 years and just repowered with another Kawasaki...had the deck powder coated to keep the unit looking good. Run them on 48 and 52 Lescos...never been to the shop. Your decision!
  5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

this guy got a 350 chebby into a push mower, why cant you get a hemi in a lazer?[​IMG]

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

That must be one of those experimental "air cooled" small blocks.

I suppose one could mount the radiator on the handlebars...heheh!
  7. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Owned both and am convinced the Kawi is better. Less problems and maintenance. Just my own experience.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have both motors. Lots of hours on kohlers. The kawis are stronger, but getting parts have been the hardest thing with kawi. They have been getting better. So, for now, I plan to stick with kawis. But there is nothing wrong with kohlers.
  9. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I have to agree with everybody else out there. I have both and have the same dillema/ Going to purchace another Lazer today and I really want to try out their new Kawi on a 60" er. Have 3 now with the Kohler and have had NO problems with the engines. They have about 800-1000 hrs each on them trouble free. Anxious to try that Kawi. From my experience they (kawi's) start easier, idle smoother, and have slightly more power for the same rated HP output as the Kohler. Plus, it's only $150 more for the Kawi option on the 2002 Lazer.
    Just my $.02

p.s. Don't skip you oil changes!!! Even in the busiest months shortly ahead....I change mine every 3-4 weeks in each machine, or when I get close to 75-100 hours. I can probably streach it longer, but hey, oil is cheap...these engines are not!
  10. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I like them both.
    Kohles start up better in the cold and better on gas.
    kawi's are a little more reliable.