Putting a fuel filter on

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DCE, Jul 12, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I had to cut off a part of the fuel line from my Husqvarna 225L trimmer, somehow a hole developed. Now, I am having a time and a half with something so dang simple. Putting the fuel filter back onto the line. The portion I cut off already molded itself to the shape of the nipple end of the filter. Just slides on and off no muss, no fuss. But that part is now cut off and I have pretty much, the end of the Tygon type tubing that I am trying to get the filter back on but I spent probably close to 30 mins screwing with the damn thing with no dice until my patience started to wear thin. How in the HECK do you repair guys get a fuel filter on a new fuel line?? I cannot get the opening to stretch wide enough to accept the nipple end no matter what I try. Yeah, go ahead and laugh...it seems like a simple enough procedure but for the life of me I cannot get the filter on the line. I have a pic if anyone needs to see. Thanks for any advice. I was planning to use the trimmer tomorrow but looks like I won't be able to until I can slide the filter onto the fuel line :dizzy:

Thanks for any help.

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Warm water and a pair of external snap ring pliers. Or spit on the male part in a pinch. Not reccomended for tobacco chewers though.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

:laugh: Okay, now that's over, I have a pair of electronic needle nose pliers that fit into the fuel line, once in there about a 1/4 inch, I'll spread the pliers apart. Take alittle PB Blaster and spray the inside of the fuel line, then push the line on to the nipple and yop are almost done.
    Now if you don't have the little wire hose clamp, find the smallest zip tie you can to hold the hose onto the filter.
    A fine point needle nose plies might work if they are thin enough, or find something that you can use to expand the end of the hose, a thin punch, number 1 Philips screw driver.

Good Luck

ericg likes this.
  4. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Hot damn. I have a pair of external/internal snap ring pliers! I'll give that a go. Thank you.

Glad you guys got a chuckle....this is akin to shoving a 20 pound baby through a small birth canal! :laugh: