Putting a price on the flyer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The Gopher templates often include a box so you can insert the per cut price. Is that a good idea? Is it better to tell them flat out what it costs or to meet them in person and arrange things?
  2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3. Howie's Lawn Care

I don't want to see the flyers. I want to know if it is smart to put a price on or smarter to say call for a free estimate. Thanks.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What kind of price are you talking about? If you mean a standard price that is printed on every flier, like "most average size lawns $30", well no way, I would never do that although I have read that some on here do indeed do that. I think it is best to treat each lawn individually as sometimes there are obstacles that may make the price higher than what the flier said.
    And if you mean write the price on the flier as you are walking to the door to deliver them, nope I wouldn't do that either. it's tedious enough passing out fliers, I sure wouldn't add more to the job by having to stop and scope out and walk the lawn before writing in a price.
    I say if the customer wants lawn service, they will call even without the price on the flier.
    just my two cents.
  5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I 100% agree..it would be a real pain in the you know what.. to walk around every property just to add a price to the flyer.
  6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt put the price on the flier. Like he said if they want service they will call either way.
  7. Howie's Lawn Care

I thought it would be stupid to put a price on the flyer. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I think it is a great idea idea to put a price on the flier. Put prices by square footage with a asterisk and footnote stating prices may vary depending on complexity of landscape.

People do not like surprises and in general have no clue what a competitive price is. If your pricing is competitive use it to your advantage. If your not competitive hide your price.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My vote is on for Free Estimates!
  10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I guess it depends on what type of operation you want to run. If you want a high volume streamlined biz, prices on fliers are a great idea. Price is usually 80% of the deal.
    If you want to attract a specific customer base with specific yards and add on services then it may cause you more hassle than not.
    I myself and others on the boards have had tremendous success with prices, and if you play your cards right you'll never get burned. I also have no contracts, and focus on only mowing.

Good luck!