Putting a sign on my trailer, any suggesstions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeereHauler, Feb 12, 2005.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

hi everyone,

for 2005 i was throwing around the idea of putting a sign on my trailer. i mow in a few nice neighborhoods, and i would like to increase my amount of mowing contracts over the next few years. i have never advertised, all word of mouth.

i had thought of getting my truck either stickered, or get magnets. i haven't met too many people who have luck with magnets, especially if you take them on or off a lot, which i would do. BUT thats my personal truck also, i can't afford a work truck yet, and i don't want it stickered all year, and i'm not fond of magnets. and i can't put signs above the bed rails, i have 3 tools boxes!

so i have a 6x12 landscape trailer, i thought it would be great to add signs to each side just about the rails, but i have an atv gate on the side, and racks all around.....hmmmm..... any ideas, maybe a short sign on the gate side, and a full lenth on the other, or 2 short.....

thats my old truck but same tool boxes, i also don't take my old 110 with me, that was just for picture taking. i replaced that spot this year with a JD 48" WB with a sulky. i also posted a better view of my trailer, i was moving it around this winter.

i'm not having much luck with this sign stuff, you guys woud sure be a big help!!

2. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Don't do what I did.
    I had a 5' by 4' sigh made and bolted it to the back of the tail gate. I found it was not strong enough for the wind so I put a piece of plywood behind it.
    By By gas mileage and the gate became so heavy my shoulder still hurts 1 year after I stopped using it.
    I did get a couple calls from it, but I would go with side signage or larger signage on the truck

3. DeereHauler

heres the other pic

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger the sign, the better. You want people to be able to read your name and number from far away. Btw, nice setup.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you could have a couple of metal signs made to fit between your trailer wheels and the gate. Maybe 2'x3', or something in that range. If you custom made it, you could weld or clamp a couple of brackets on each side, and slide the sign in and out from the top. Convenient if you ever wanted to change or modify your sign. Plus, with the signs being on the sides, it helps reduce any wind drag, and won't affect your gas mileage.

6. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 LawnSite Member

I would seriously think about stickering your truck. Even though you can't take them off, you get great advertising all year round. I have stickered my personal/business truck, and was amazed at how many calls I get in the off season. Here's a picture of my ford. :cool2:

myford1.jpg

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the magnets on my driver and passanger door and was thinking of putting some signage on my trailer as well. The magnets have not produced an abundance of work yet.

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

In the past I was always hesitant on stickering my own vehicle. However, you are in business to make money so its simple, sticker sticker sticker. I ran the tailgate stickered on my personal the last two seasons b ut with a new truck on order it will be getting some more signage.

9. DeereHauler

dr lawn 21, i like the way you did the stickers, very good and to the point, but not ugly, doens't ruin the trucks appearance, not that stickers do, but i could see that still working as a personal vehicle.

neps jay, thanks!

i have a lot to consider yet, but thank you all for the suggesstions. i will keep my ideas updated

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I haven't had any luck from my signage. I started with a nice 2'x4' sign on the back of my trailer gate (there's pics on here somewhere of it), and I've never got a single call from it.

I then put magnetic signs on my truck doors. Went with magnetics because this is also a personal vehicle for now. These signs (pics of these here somewhere too) match the rear gate sign.

I received ONE call from my trucks signs (didn't have trailer on when he saw my truck).

I know I've read a few here say that they get a good bit of work from their signage, but it didn't work for me.
    However, that's not to say you shouldn't do it. I still think it looks more professional then not. And when I pull up to someones house to give an estimate, I like them to be able to see who it is parking in front of their home.

I just don't think you should do it with the expectation that you're going to get a ton of work off of it.