Putting all your apples into one basket?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jan 24, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys and gals, I put in a few bids for some apartments with the same development corp. and was recently asked if I would be interested in doing all of them in the area. However I am well aware that apartments can be a large pain from experince. They have a few complexes in two areas in which we need a few more accounts to fill those days in that area. However I am concerned about taking them all on for the fact they will take up at least two days of mowing. Your ideas on this?
  2. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Two days would be max. I'm in the same boat right now one company we deal with equals around 20% of our gross now, they gave me inside track on another bid almost to 80% of 2000 gross, another chain that of properties & one large property to bid. They always pay good, always have extra work, and are the last to complain. I'm bidding all thier stuff and much much more for other companies. I don't want to just work for them, way to risky if somthing happens, these are all 2 year deals also. Looks like a very good growth year.
  3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't sound like overkill to me, with it being only two days. You might consider at this point hiring on extra help to get more properties done in less time. In that case, you'll be handling the extra work and turning them from, say, 40% of your gross back down to 20% and keeping room on the schedule for other 'eggs'. ;)

4. I don't see taking 2 days to cut as being a problem. As TG pointed out you may want to look at hiring some help to cut down the mowing time on these properties or even upgrading to a more productive mower. You also might want to see about getting a multi year agreement/contract with these guys. The only downside can be if the properties sell and the new buyers want to hire someones else cheaper.
  5. Shelton's Lawn

Shelton's Lawn LawnSite Member

Two days, go for it. Try buying larger mowers to cut down on time and increase production. What type of mowers are you using now. Use zeros whenever possible and train men to get the job done as quickly as possible with no joking and smoking. Good luck you can make it happen.
  6. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have 15 apartment properties. 6 owned by one guy, and 9 owned by an investment group. Bigger mowers and more man power will help, but I have found that trimming is a far larger problem than cutting.
  7. Forget the trimming hit those spots with round up twice a year. I know it does not look pretty but the money saved in labor and trimmer string well out weights the application cost.
  8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I have found that apts don't really pay. They may look good on the front but the back alley is covered in schmeg! Condos are key, people own them and will pay for quality. Stay away from apts. on the whole if you are seeking QUALITY SERVICE, if you want to mow & go there it is...they often change property mgmt. so extra time for reaquaint meetings. Apts change hands allot, so be careful of how far you push the front, as far as time, materials, products, etc. just a thought..