Putting bid price on flyer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Watkinslawnservice, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you bother to go around and hang your door hangers or flyers with the exact bid for just thier property included on the flyer? I have seen door hanger designs that have a spot to write in the price. Would this take forever, seeing as how I would have to do all the hangers myself in order to do the quoting. Also if you do this how many times does it bite you in the azz because you didn't take the time to really look a job over and there were unforseen obstackles and such?

I think that a price of some sort is important because I really don't believe that most homeowners know how inexpensive it is to have their lawn maintained for them. Maybe a "starting at" price would be a better option. What do you guys think?

I once had a garage door outfit leave me a price on my garage door of my small 1 stall garage. I wasnt in the market for a new door but it sure made me think about replacing that old wooden one piece for a new one.

Thanks,
    Dave :waving:

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 different design hangers, I get 1000 of each printed at a time, 1 has no space for price, this is for when i have my wife & kids help, i also carry these for the ones i'm not very sure about, the other set of fliers have a space that says "the approximate cost for basic service for your lawn would be ________________,"
    then under that is a discription of basic service.

that way as i walk up i can glance at the lawn and say "yup looks like about xx bucks and i write it on there, it says approx. so if i'm called back for a true est. i will see if i'm close or if the back yard has some nasties that i didn't notice. i can adjust the price accordingly.

3. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent idea stumper.

Thanks,
    Dave

4. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

If it's just lawn maintenance I'd say list it since there's very little explaining to do since everyone knows what it takes to mow the lawn. As long as your pricing is competitive with the other professionals working in the area.

If you're soliciting some work that you may have to sell the customer on I'd hand out a flyer without the price.

5. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

Been there and done that. It was actually detrimental to my service. Low ballers saw my prices and underbid me. If you put the price on the flyer, it leaves little opportunity for you to try to sell the customer other services. Put your name in the flyer, what you are offering and qualifications, and let the customers call you for direct estimates.

6. kriscad

kriscad LawnSite Member

i wouldnt do it...

sell value not price...

Main thing is to have a working number home owners can call and have a live voice to answer....

Maybe think about passing out business card size magnets - or adhere a business card to that door hanger... so they can have your card.

7. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I've thought of putting a price on the doorhanger. But I feel that sometimes people make a decision based on your personality and appearance. I would personally pay $5 more if I thought the person doing it was nice, professional and presented him/herself correctly. Without the quote, gives the opportunity to have a face to face conversation with the client. You don't want clients that go for lowballers anyways, they are the ones that complain the most and don't want to pay.