Putting Down Sod Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

HAve a job to put down 2,350 Sqr Ft of sod. What prep work or other materials should use during the process.
    site is essentially flat.

Thank You in advance

2. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

4 1/2 pallets roughly. Skid steer, rake. or 2 guys and hand rakes.

3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

...........and; starter fert, bush axe for triming and roller. with regards... devildog

4. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

We use gas edgers for our trimming and it comes out very nice. If it's flat then rolls of sod make life soo much easier. I have an attachment on my tractor and it rolls off too easy and looks better. Just a thought.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

sod stakes to keep sod flat and helps keep the sod from rolling up on the ends.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

I have a Dingo priced in for transporting the sod from the front to the back so that part is set. Since sod is established is starter fert the way to go? I was kind of thinking of a 14-14-14.

I have noticed that some sod has netting beneath it. I figure this is essential where erosion is a concern due to sloping terrain, but my gut says this is not necessary.. Please verify..

What would you charge for labor for a 2,350 sqr ft job?

r
    Gary

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have only done a few sod jobs. It all depends on how much your sod costs and if they can put the pallets where you need them.

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The netting is there for the benefit of the grower. Allows earlier harvest of turf that has roots that are not so strongly knit together. This is especially the case for the tall Fescues. Without the netting the sod would fall into little clumps. I don't like it but sometimes it is the only type available.

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Thank you.. Did not know that about the netting.. sod cost
    is about %600.00 delivered. Have dingo for on-site transfer.

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

With all this good advise I cant think of anything to add except, remember green side up. lol