Putting flyers in newspaper box legal??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by loupiscopolandscaping, Mar 21, 2008.

1. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, just curious is it legal to put flyers in newspaper boxes?? my guess is yes, but im not sure. I've read on this site a lot of people do this, but that doesnt mean its legal. Any input please feel free. thank you:cool2:

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

It's not against the law to put them in newspaper boxes. To me a person is lowering there standards if they go this route. How many people have a newspaper delivered to them now a days with the internet?

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Every single house on my street gets a newspaper... the only thing is, the people who deliver are too lazy and never put them in the paper boxes they just throw them from their car. but thats just my street, I've seen others that actually take the time to use those.

4. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Raven. Last year I bought clear little bags with handles and a bulk of flower bulbs. I put the flier in the bag with a bulb (for weight) with a small 1x3 piece of paper instruction on planting the bulb and had the kids put them on door knobs. You could canvas choice neighborhoods this way. Neighborhood kids also come cheap.

5. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I disagree totally. The newpaper boxes are attached to the mailbox. You still get mail right? By putting the ad in the newspaper box, I don't have to pay postage, nor take the time to address to the cards myself and I get to target the exact neighborhoods I want with no extra cost. Yes I have to do it myself, but when starting out in the business like this person obviously is, it's low cost to drive to the neighborhoods and you get to choose where you want to go. Is it as personal as door to door sales? No, but it is effective. I've gotten great response from this type of advertising.

6. loupiscopolandscaping

thanx but sorry, we've been in business for 34 yrs. its just a question.lol

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

from my experience i have been told its not illegal but you can be fined by the company that owns the paper box you are putting them in.

8. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

My mistake. I apologize. What the heck are you wasting time putting things in boxes for?:laugh: You should sitting back by the pool making everyone make money for you!!

I don't think it's illegal and I doubt you'll have any trouble from the newspaper company. I think it would take for you to block the delivery of the paper for anything to happen.

9. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Paul...I like that idea...mind if I use it? I just bought some of those bags and your bulb idea sounds appealing!

10. loupiscopolandscaping

not a problem, just was seeing if is legal. might send the guys out to target certain areas. thanx guys!