Putting green co. asked for my customer list

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Aug 16, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who installs putting greens that has asked me to give him my customer list. He wants to send them info about his company, in hopes of drumming up business for himself. Said he'd give me a percentage of any he gets. Probably not much ($50). Money aside, would you give out your customer list to a company like this.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's really quite simple. You just get the brochures or whatever from that person, and send them out with your bills. Just tell this putting green person that you'll "pass it on".

3. seascape

seascape LawnSite Member

Hell no!!!!!!!! and if i did it would cost him. Tell him he can have it for $50 per name. That should settle it. I would be offended if any othe green industry pro asked me if they can have my customer data base. How insulting.
    mike

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The only way I would give him customer info is with their consent. You are not an advertising agency. If he uses your name or company name while approaching these people it may end up costing you some clients.

No money. Too much risk. Disappointed customers. You do the math.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

make it an add on service u offer and if you get any calls sub out the work to him and profit

i never give out any customer information
    i see nothing hear nothing and never give out there info
    and thats the way they like it

6. Advanced Lawncare

Advanced Lawncare LawnSite Member

I do not give out customer info, if it is a service that they might be interested in either I will do referal (give the customer info) or sub it out.

7. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

NO!!!!!!! When the put the artificial turf putting green in, less lawn to mow and less money for you.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I will sell the putting greens, hire them to install. Simple enough.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Complicated situation. On one hand you don't want to offend the customer, but you surely don't want to piss off all your other customers. I would try to explain that you will be happy to give out brochures or literature, but cannot give out names for him to use to solicit business. He would not want you giving out his name, number and address to a company without his knowledge.

Sometimes I think people really have a lot of nerve to ask you to special things of you. But then again, they probably just haven't thought too hard about their request. Of course they could just be stupid :D

10. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I would never give info about my customers out to anyone. Tell the putting green guy that it's against your company policy. He should be glad that his information is also protected by you.

I know that I hate solicitors, and I would be furious if my someone I employ to do a service gave my information to a company trying to sell me something.

Take some of his business cards and tell him that you'll refer him if you are ever asked about puttting greens.