Putting Green Tips

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by snmhanson, Aug 4, 2005.

1. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

Well, I think I am going to attempt to put in a raised putting green over our septic field since we're not supposed to mow with our tractor over it according to our contractor. Now, I've heard about all of the maintainance and care required and understand that even though it's only one green it is still a major commitment and I am up for that. If it turns out I can't or don't want to keep it up I guess I will just kill all of the bent grass and have a raised area of rye/fescue like the rest of the lawn. Anyway, my plans are to level it all out, build a ~1 1/2' tall terrace, lay ~6" of rock/gravel down with PVC pipes for drainage, lay out a dedicated sprinkler system for it, fill the remaining area with dirt, compact and level the dirt, plant creeping bent grass and try to find a cheap reel mower. So my question is, aside from trying to talk me out of it is there any advice anyone wants to give me concerning the install or maintainance of a putting green? My plans are for about 2000 sf and almost a perfect circle. One question in particular is what happens if you let creeping bent grass grow longer than the suggested 1/4-1/2"? Do you end up with a mess or can you just cut it down (over a few mowings) when you want it to be short again? Also, to keep water from going down and saturating our septic field I thought about putting a pond liner between the putting green and the drain field. Would this work well assuming I built adequate drainage into the putting green? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on this.

Matt

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah don't do do it way to expensive get a synthetic green they are just as good if you go with the right company and right install. plus the maint. on them is practically nothing.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Drew is right. You will be asking for trouble doing this. Golf greens are very labor intesive to take care of. A true greens mower will set you back a lot of money as well.Take a look:
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC...=GT_GM&sCName=Walk-Behind Greens Mowers&tM=GT
    Now go to build your own section at the left add nothing and then click summary for a nice price of $6700.00 + freight and tax. Figure a used one on eBay will be about half that and still need work done to it. A homeowner reel is not going to give you a good putting surface. You have to mow them everyday. Great courses often mow twice a day.Then there is fertilizer, pest maintence, topdressing, rolling, aerating. Go with a synthetic product.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I am hooked up with installers all over let me know I can get someone to put one in for you!

5. snmhanson

OK, thanks for the input, I guess :rolleyes: . Now you have me thinking hard about alternatives to the putting green. I'm not even an avid golfer, I just thought it would be fun to have, especially when we have BBQs and parties. I don't mind doing the maintainance but I'm sure there would be times I would let it slide a little and let the grass grow too long or be a little casual about fertilizing. If it could recover relatively well from a brief lapse in maintainance (like when we go on vacation) I would be ok but otherwise... As far as artificial versus real, I don't want to pay a ton to get it installed so I was looking at the real deal because I could do it myself. I am generally pretty capable but if it didn't turn out I wouldn't be out too much $$ and could just plant something else - plus I would have a nice big raised bed. I guess the cost of the mower is where it just might not make any sense. I have seen some used reel mowers for ~$300 and new for a little more but I suspect they are not green-specific and may not do the job. On the other hand it's not like I'm doing the cutting on an 18 hole champoionship course either. I will research those some more. If you guys have any other advice keep it coming. I'm balancing between doing it and not right now. Thanks.

Matt

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

7. snmhanson

Looks nice. What mower do you use to mow it with and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? Also, what happens if you let the maintainance lapse a little from time to time? Thanks.

Matt

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The initial investment was around $1500. It is sand based and seeded with Penn G2. That has proven to be a most tempermental grass next time I would try to use a more durable bentgrass. I mow it every 2 to three days. If you let it go longer than that it will tend to get soft. The yearly costs are about $300 in fertilizers and fungicides.

I mow it with a McLane reel mower I picked up on ebay

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Before putting ANYTHING over the top of a septic field, you may want to see what your local Health Inspector has to say about it.

10. nccutter

nccutter LawnSite Member

I know it's been a couple of years, but did you put one in and how isit today?