1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

putting green

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mike lane lawn care, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, here's the task, my back yard starts off at a sttep slope and the levels out, the level spot is where i would like to make a real putting green, not a fake green mat. This section of lawn is a bit bumpy, so i would need to level it off, but what is involved in making one of theese?
    would i need to mow it with one of those push reel mowers?
    what kind of grass do i need?
    is there a special fertilizer?
    how about water requirements(no sprinkler system, but i could put out a sprinkler)
    anything else?

i don't even really like golf, but my brother does and so does my dad, i figures it would be a neat project since i am going to be leveling it off any way. I have plenty of space to do this, i was thinking like a 30' strip with a round area at the end with the cup, but i am open to ideas, thanks
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

you will need bent grass. fertilizer will depend on breed of seed used. they take alot of care. mowing/watering everyother day.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We put this one in few years ago ...it's a lot of work n even more up-keep ..... may put in a water feature .....but if your committed ..... get a reel mower .... n say lots of money fore up-keep

After Put.jpg
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be better off going with the synthetic option. Do a search as I believe this has been discussed before. If I recall the upkeep and cost is off the charts to do it correctly. I've seen a couple pics of installed greens in existing landscape and it's difficult to tell them apart from the real thing.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

as a former greens keeper i can tell you you have no idea of the expence and work they take . go the synthetic route as suggested above
  6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I was thinking of the same exact thing today. I actually took out my old reel mower and adjusted some bolts to it's lowest cutting height. I did that to check how low it would go if in fact my parents would let me put one in. It only lowers down to 1.5" though, so it'd be tough. I have seen soem cheapo's on e-bay though. Good luck with it.
  7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The maintenance will kill you.....

I found this site a few years ago. Step by step instructions for building a real backyard putting green:

8. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh, it'd take some work, thats for sure -especially to meet the usga regulations like on that page. :dizzy:
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i wasn't thinking that drastic, i was thinking just a small flat aera with the bent grass. http://www.turfavenue.com/putting 563.JPG something like that, but a little longer, nothing fancy, i am prepared to do the mainence, and have access to a reel mower. I read the website, and i think that i will use sand under the area that will become the green. We have an extensive drainage system throughout the lawn, that keeps it well drained. any more positive comments, sudjestions, or pictures? i really would hate to use a synthetic green.
  10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could share your thought on synthetic......Why are you so opposed to it?

For the most part, maintenance involves blowing off the leaves.