Putting Greens on Golf Course

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rbeca, May 20, 2002.

1. rbeca

rbeca LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Ok-
    Here's the real deal - I'm building a 9 hole golf course with of course 10 greens - :)
    What I need is advice from the experts on how to do this.
    Can you help? I plan on using bermuda because I'm in Texas and have a general idea of how to do this but wanted to see if I could get some expert help. I am a do it yourselfer - but need all the advice and help I can get.

Rebecca

The Dumb Bonde

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

MY advise...don't. After seeing this post I read your others, have you figured up what the maintenance of this project would be?:eek: How in the world could you afford to build and maintain a project like this and not be able to afford professional help?

A guy here locally built a 3 hole course on his property, the house is selling now for 3.9 million and he had 2 full time groundskeepers to maintain it.

3. rbeca

rbeca LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Gosh - How's a person ever expect to get 3.9 million for something unless they try? Not everyone has the money for professional help. This is America and neighbors help neighbors - that's how we built this place to begin with. :)

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I was trying to help, maybe you missed my point...have you figured out what your maintenance expenses are? How often you will need to mow? What type of equipment you are going to need to mow the different parts? What kind of drainage you will need for the greens? How much sand you will need for the 10 greens?

If I get a chance I will take a photo of his place, looks like sh**. He let the groundskeepers go and is now selling (times must be tough) and is either mowing it himself or has a lawn company, you can't tell the golf course from the weeds in the joining lot. What a shame.

5. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

With out trying to sound negative, I will say that on a golf course the greens are about the toughest
    to maintain. As Kirbys mentioned drainage is very key. Often there are several layers soil, sands
    and gravel under the visible layer. The drainage is very key to keeping a nice green. On top of that the fert program is very touchy. You want to keep the green green but don't want it growing out of control. Also when not fertilized properly they will burn very easily and are difficult to recover. On top of this you must use a reel mower instead of a rotary mower. When getting into that there are whole new group of expenses. If you are seriously considering building a golf course I would highly recommend a professional, at least for the greens. There is much more involved than appears on the surface.

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am an Asst. Superintednent at a golf course full time. Maybe I can help you some cause we just renovated 2 greens ourselves. As far as building the structure of a green, you have to design what you want it to look like and either dig out or grade off dpending. to build it to USGA specs you will have 4 inches of gravel(pea size), then on top of that you will have 14-17" of greens mix(sand will work fine for burmuda but call around some and see if you can find a greensmix). Under the gravel you want to use 6" perferated drainage pipe. Use a section down the middle and then come off both sides to help drainage. After everything is in you will need to level the surface to whatever break or slope you want then lay the sod.(sodding is easiest and fastest but a little more expensive) Make sure the surface of the green is not packed down though b/c the grass will not root good. If you are using burmuda i would suggest Tif Eagle. It is about the best grass there is right now. the greens you will have to mow everyday during the summer. A Riding Tri-plex greensmower by John Deere will run about 19000-23000 new. You will also need verticut reels for it. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to email me at jnewnam@triad.rr.com
    Josh newnam

8. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Comming off a grow in i would have to say you have alot of work ahead of you and it seems you will have to require alot of things. Here are a few facts about building a golf course.

1. It is really expensive, alot of money will be spent in just the earthmoving costs

2. You will need a professional to build it. It will require a reputable company and many employees to do so. Building a green is not just guess work and you need someone who knows their stuff.

3. You will need a professional to irrigate it. Irrigation on a course is ciritical especially in Texas, and you should probaly irrigate the greens, tees, and fairways.

4. You will need a professional to maintain it. You should hire a superintendent from the beginning (at least 50k/yr) and have a crew of at least 4 to 5 guys.

Golf course is grueling and is definitely a labor of love and it requires loads of cash to get a course going. May I suggest "Turf Management for golf courses" by James Beard. Also I would consider Crenshaw creeping bentgrass for your greens, as it is a good performer down south, even thought that seems very far down the road.