Putting Greens

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Mar 18, 2003.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone build putting greens. I was hoping you could tell me a little about the construction of one like what type of grass is used and maintance. Looking to add this to the list of Services.

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you looking at the artificial or a real putting green. On a real green you will want to use bent grass. For a home putting green you will want about a 7" base of pea gravel with about 12"-14" of a good soil mixture with some peat in it. Chemical costs are high and green will have to be mowed on a dialy basis. If you sod the green start to finish you are looing at about 20-30k depending on the size of the green. If you seed it you will save about 5-6k but will take a good year or more to grow in completely. If you have any more questions feel free to email me at jnewnam@triad.rr.com

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

If you have ANY questions reguarding real bentgrass putting greens, please e-mail me. akooima17@hotmail.com

Also: If it is real putting greens your are looking into, www.putting-greens.com is a good place to start.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a great link to start with
    http://www.putting-greens.com/info.html
    http://fantasylawns.com/After_Put.jpg

[​IMG]

We installed this only (first-only-last) in 1998 .... gonna do a complete re-sod this spring with Tifgreen Bermuda or "419" which is really a fairway turf (we installed .... Tifway 328 which is a daily chore to maintain) ... this customer really only wanted the "LooK" as oposed to "Use" .... this is only for the high profile customer the putting green maintanence alone is few $00 monthly .... year round .... mowing daily is ideal in summer or 2-3 week .... or atleast twice a week (n it might look good but you won't be able to use it) ....fore for us our customer cuts it when he want's to use it (n it's still slow n bumby .... the real deal is soooo much daily work) .... gotta use a reel mower (we cut it 2x's weekly) .... this is a pain .... lots of attention .... install synth for a more real "feel" or practice