Putting in a mailbox for a customer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jt5019, Mar 31, 2006.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my accounts recently came to me asking if i can put his new mailbox in the ground for him. He had surgery last year and cant really do much digging.

He is going out and getting the mailbox and cement himself all i have to do is take the old one out and put the new one in. He lives 4 houses away so there is no drive time.

How much would you charge for this?

I dont expect it would take very long to do, but i dont want to over charge seeing that he is my neighbor.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Charge 1 hour...

3. jt5019

pretty much what i expected to do just wanted to see others opinions

4. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I'll probably get nailed to the cross for this but if he's a good customer and neighbor I'd do it for free. It'll take less than a half hour and the guy will be eternally grateful

5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

yea, he's your neighbor. you don't barbecue together, talk while you're watering your lawn, discuss politics over the fence, anything? it can't be all business with him.

6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

yeah im with one man, if hes a good neigbor do it for free...what will it take 30mins if that

7. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

i agree to do it for free. neighbors are important and it could lead to more business. i grew up in a neighborhood as a kid and the neighbors were always helping with each others projects.

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, he said the guy is already a paying customer:

"One of my accounts recently came to me asking if i can put his new mailbox in the ground for him."

9. jt5019

Just a little info

Yes he is my neighbor and yeah we do just chat once in a while.Hes a real nice guy.

He approached me at about the beginning of last summer after he got sick requesting i mow his lawn and plow his driveway in the winter. He made it clear he wanted an actual company to do it that will send him bills not just any old person with lawn mowers. (I dont have the need to advertise much so he didnt know if i was looking for more work) So i made him up a contract and even though he is my neighbor he gets billed like everyone else. He actually told me "i hope you like my lawn cause im gonna have you mowing it until i die"

Ive been taking care of his property since then hes always pays on time and if hes gonna go away he will pay me ahead of time.

He asked me if i could put in the mailbox for him and i said sure its a piece of cake. He said "ill go buy it and let you know when i have it" and that was that. He also has some reseeding work for me in the future where a dead tree created a low spot in his lawn.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If he's unable to do it himself I would do it for free.